We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another name match question

Redlands, California
reviews: 25
Another name match question

I found some useful information with the search function but nothing real recent. Ii booked a flight with Travelocity and my confirmation has my full name-- Mary Doe Smith. But when I went to pick my seat on Virgin Atlantic it shows my name as Marydoe Smith. Travelocity's representative assured me (in fractured English, of course) that this was just because the airline only recognized two names when iti took my information. (I guess I'm lucky it doesn't call me Mary Doesmith.) But I really don't feel confident enough to just sail up to check-iin without more reassurance--should I email the airlines to check their policy? VA's site told me to address any problems with the booking agent, so that's what I tried first.

thanks for any information or recent experiences.

9 replies to this topic
Haarlem, The...
reviews: 164
1. Re: Another name match question

No problem, happens all the time.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
2. Re: Another name match question

Yes, stop worrying about it. It doesn't matter and it happens all the time.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Another name match question

The Travelocity rep is correct. If you specify your first and middle name they do appear on your ticket and reservation as one, without spaces. You have nothing to worry about.

Edited: 5:02 pm, July 24, 2014
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Another name match question

Why didn't you believe the Travelocity rep? Think about it, they are probably asked this question on a daily basis.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 165
5. Re: Another name match question

<<it shows my name as Marydoe Smith.>>

Well, you could always legally have your named changed. Then, when folk comment on the peculiar name, you say, "but you do not know the whole story... " [Grin]

As others have said, airline ticket names can get mangled and truncated all too often. I, like you, want everything to match 100%, but that is just me.

Good luck,

Hunt

Redlands, California
reviews: 25
6. Re: Another name match question

In response to # 4--frankly, because I wasn't sure she understood what I was saying and I certainly couldn't understand all that she said!

But anyway, I'd just never seen myself listed this way when I reviewed a flight before, and I appreciate the reassurances.

Miami Beach, Florida
reviews: 22
7. Re: Another name match question

TSA is very easy going about minor name orders and changes.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Another name match question

By the way, if you supplied just your middle initial, (Mary D Smith) the name on your ticket would be first and middle initial with no spaces (MARYD).

I know someone calked David, whose middle initial is A, and so he appears on reservations and boarding passes as DAVIDA. And when he's called to the gate for a seat change the gate agents calls for "Daveeda" and some look surprised because they're expecting an East European looking woman.

He still gets through security and onto the flight. The wonders of airline reservation systems.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 11
9. Re: Another name match question

I was in a panic the first time I flew too. My name is Jean Pierre which ended up Jeanpierre. What bothered me is even phoning them, did not reassure me, but said that had corrected the mistake. But now after several filghts, Jeanpierre it is and I have had no problems at all.

Reply to: Another name match question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted