We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ORD: 2h 15m to clear immigration and change terminals?

Luton, United...
reviews: 18
ORD: 2h 15m to clear immigration and change terminals?

We've booked a flight from ORD to LAS in October, and had to settle for a 5+hr layover between arrival from the UK and departure from ORD.

American has now advised a time change to give us almost 8 hours at the airport.

There is an earlier flight that gives us 2hr 15 to clear immigration, recheck bags and transfer from T5 to T3. People who know ORD: is this acceptable or is it cutting it too fine? The international flight and the internal one are on two different tickets.

Opinions please?

17 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 113
1. Re: ORD: 2h 15m to clear immigration and change terminals?

I wouldn't be comfortable with anything less than 3 hours (unless precleared) particularly on 2 separate tickets.

cutting it way too fine in my opinion.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
2. Re: ORD: 2h 15m to clear immigration and change terminals?

Not a chance I reckon. Especially on two separate tickets where you stand to lose your money on the second flight if you miss it and have to pay a potentially eye watering walk up fare for a replacement .

Why did you not buy these flights on one ticket?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
3. Re: ORD: 2h 15m to clear immigration and change terminals?

I would honestly leave it at the 8 hours. Maybe, as a US citizen, I'd personally think about it - but still likely not.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
4. Re: ORD: 2h 15m to clear immigration and change terminals?

Ohare is my home airport. On two tickets, 5 hrs would have been cutting it close. Even for a us citizen it can take an hour to get out of the international terminal at the wrong time. Stick with the longer connection.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
5. Re: ORD: 2h 15m to clear immigration and change terminals?

Any time you have 2 separate tickets you are at much greater risk!

IF you miss the 2nd flight you would have to buy a completely new ticket as the first airline has absolutely no responsibility to get you to the 2nd flight!

Stick with the 8 hrs. and take some time to see Chicago!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
6. Re: ORD: 2h 15m to clear immigration and change terminals?

I'd risk it as AA have a policy of treating separately ticketed flights with One World carriers as through tickets so you should be rerouted to LAS if you miss the connection.

This is the only situation that I'm aware of where separate tickets are treated as through tickets.

aa.com/i18n/…oneworld_tkt_policy.jsp

Luton, United...
reviews: 18
7. Re: ORD: 2h 15m to clear immigration and change terminals?

We fly into ORD on a reward VS ticket, and the AA fare was the only decently timed option from that airport. But thank you all, it confirms my first thought...to suck it up!

Now, how can we most comfortably spend that amount of time at ORD? It's been several years since I last flew into ORD, so am considering paying for a lounge. Or is a day room at an airport hotel a better option?

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
8. Re: ORD: 2h 15m to clear immigration and change terminals?

Agree with the others, I wouldn't chance it. Best option might just be to clear customs and immigration and then proceed to T3. When they check in with AA at T3, they can then ask to be waitlisted for an earlier flight (if available).

Edited: 10:27 am, July 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
9. Re: ORD: 2h 15m to clear immigration and change terminals?

Julie G: There is a Hilton hotel right at the airport - and since you will be outside of security after clearing immigrations/customs - it might be an idea to investigate a day rate there. Although I'm a member of an airline club (United), I still think it's a poor value (typically $40-$50 each) for what's offered and not as friendly to actually sleep. Just don't oversleep.

Madrid
reviews: 7
10. Re: ORD: 2h 15m to clear immigration and change terminals?

The Hilton at ORD is connected to the terminal.Typical airport Hilton.I would look for a day room.

Reply to: ORD: 2h 15m to clear immigration and change terminals?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted