We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metal implants - airport security

Trentham, United...
reviews: 4
Metal implants - airport security

I know this question has been asked before, but i would just like to now if anyone has had any issues flying into or out of Egypt? with security heightened in the area at the moment, i am just concerned any any possible issue i may have going through the airport. I am getting a letter from my GP and this maybe OK in UK, but will they be as understanding over there?

6 replies to this topic
London, England
reviews: 64
1. Re: Metal implants - airport security

I have had two hips and a knee replaced and never had a problem anywhere. Just tell security I may set the alarm off. I have never carried a letter from GP and never been asked for one.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
2. Re: Metal implants - airport security

Most of my jaw is titanium and it's never set off any airport machines in any country yet. I carry a small photo of the X-ray "just in case" it's ever questioned but never needed it yet.

3. Re: Metal implants - airport security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, July 24, 2014

Shrewsbury, United...
reviews: 74
4. Re: Metal implants - airport security

Husband had a metal implant in his arm 15 years ago and it has never set the alarms off

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Metal implants - airport security

Hi

With my knee sometimes it does set off the alarm and sometimes it doesn't. No problem though, they just run the magic wand over you and then you go on your way.

Jackie

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 180
6. Re: Metal implants - airport security

Wife's two titanium hips set off alarms in almost all US airports, sometimes (?) at LHR, all the time at FCO, SYD, CDG. She tells security about this, gets wanded (usually), and has no issues, even on days of "heightened security."

Have not flown into, or out of any airport in Egypt, so cannot comment on how things might be there.

Good luck,

Hunt

Reply to: Metal implants - airport security
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted