We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A great American Airlines experience

Queensland
reviews: 147
A great American Airlines experience

There are so many negative reviews about AA, I want to share a positive experience. Coming from Australia it was our first time dealing with this airline. Due to lengthy delays clearing Dallas immigration and customs (3 hours) we raced to the check in counter for our flight to Mexico only to be told baggage check closes one hour before departure and we missed our flight. The agent could not have been more apologetic and even offered discount hotel vouchers and rebooked us on the next flight in the morning. She took the time to talk us through the process, was extremely polite and in no way did we feel like we were an inconvenience. Next morning checked in, again the agent was very polite and we flew to Mexico. Yes it's an old plane but the crew were great. Flying DFW to Japan was the same, excellent service from ground agents who offered us a choice of seats, even blocking out seats next to us as the flight wasn't full. Flight was a 777-200, pretty old but the inflight service was remarkable. The cabin crew were attentive, 3 meals, free flow of wine, happy and chatty crew. I wondered if I was actually flying an American carrier. Food was decent. The 13 hour flight was actually bearable. Big thumbs up to AA, they were remarkable from ground to air. Ground agents in particular were wonderful. Not a fantastic product but it really makes a difference when staff are proactive and positive thinking. Great job AA.

9 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: A great American Airlines experience

Always good to see a positive review - the measure of an airline's quality in my view is how they deal with problems such as missed connections which can be stressful for the inexperienced flyer.

Apart for one flight with a miserable FA I've generally had good experiences with AA.

Lisburn, United...
reviews: 1
2. Re: A great American Airlines experience

i'm very pleased to see this - flying AA in a couple of weeks for the first time in nearly 15 years and know that a lot of folk don't seem to rate them highly.

The price was good for us and we don't care too much about inflight entertainment etc, as long as they get us there safely (and reasonably on time lol) we will be happy!

Thanks for sharing :)

Norddeutschland
reviews: 666
3. Re: A great American Airlines experience

And thanks for the warning that you need to factor in 4 hours in Dallas to make a connection.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 110
4. Re: A great American Airlines experience

thanks for the review. I've only flown them a couple of times domestically but have a transatlantic coming up soon so this is good news.

Queensland
reviews: 147
5. Re: A great American Airlines experience

Florian, I was shocked by the time it took to clear DFW. We chose it over LAX as I heard it's worse there. Yes 3 hours to clear. We arrived at 1.45pm and the queue was long. Got selected for the interview so had to stand in line for that but it was the customs queue that took forever. Don't have a flight booked under 4 hours if clearing DFW. Saying that we did clear under an hour on our return trip from Mexico as it was maybe a quiet time.

Dallas
reviews: 6
6. Re: A great American Airlines experience

Glad to hear of a positive review when so many posters focus on the negative. I love AA and have had great experiences with them!

Shoalhaven...
reviews: 152
7. Re: A great American Airlines experience

We have also booked our trip to Orlando (from Sydney) via DFW. I find it amazing that so many people comment on the queues at customs at DFW, as the US website states the longest wait between 12-2pm (when QF flight arrives) is never more than 45mins. Obviously someone in US Customs if fudging the figures to make it look better than it is. Even 1hr is ridiculous for a 1st world country where they are fully aware of flight loads hours in advance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 52
8. Re: A great American Airlines experience

Got selected for the interview so had to stand in line for that but it was the customs queue that took forever.

--------

Really? Customs usually just involves handing over the blue form. I've waited maybe a maximum of 3mins to clear when there were only two customs officers on duty and there were a lot of flights arriving in the baggage hall, that's in dozens and dozens of arrivals into the US. More often than not there's barely a 30sec wait, IME.

I'd say allowing a 4hr connection at DFW is unnecessary. I've not done many international arrivals there but 4hrs sounds like a real outlier.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 13
9. Re: A great American Airlines experience

Good one Andy.

Nice to see a positive review instead of the usual on this forum.

Thanks for sharing.

Reply to: A great American Airlines experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted