We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lack of duty free ie spirits and tobacco on flights.

Washington, United...
reviews: 19
Lack of duty free ie spirits and tobacco on flights.

I have just found out that airlines do not sell any "duty free " spirits and tobacco on flights in the eu,yet the do on flights from the eu to the outside of eu,and on the airport groundside its the same,surly this a restriction in our rights as eu citizens and free trade , if you travel by ferry no restrictions whats going on

8 replies to this topic
1. Re: Lack of duty free ie spirits and tobacco on flights.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, July 23, 2014

London, United...
reviews: 22
2. Re: Lack of duty free ie spirits and tobacco on flights.

There is no duty free allowance for travellers between EU countries. The alcohol sold on the ferry is NOT duty free.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 44
3. Re: Lack of duty free ie spirits and tobacco on flights.

<<surly this a restriction in our rights as eu citizens and free trade >>

Errr - no. There is no such thing as duty free within the EU, so any goods bought duty free must be exported outside the EU. At the airport airside, spirits and cigarettes at duty-free prices are only available to customers travelling outside the EU. The duty free shops airside offer tax (VAT) free prices to everyone, as they actually pay the tax, not the customer.

United Kingdom
reviews: 53
4. Re: Lack of duty free ie spirits and tobacco on flights.

I shall contact my MEP immediately.....

London
reviews: 37
5. Re: Lack of duty free ie spirits and tobacco on flights.

If you travel by ferry you are not buying duty free, you are buying duty paid.

You can transport any amount of alcohol and tobacco freely within the European Union if you have paid the duty in the country of purchase, and the items are for your own personal use or are a gift for which you will receive no payment, even in kind. You may of course be questioned on these two points if you are carrying more than a certain amount.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
6. Re: Lack of duty free ie spirits and tobacco on flights.

You only just found this out!! There have been no duty free within the EU for well over a decade. You do know that Elvis and John Lennon are dead too right?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 248
7. Re: Lack of duty free ie spirits and tobacco on flights.

My thoughts exactly, RonaldoC! I think it was around 2002 that duty free ceased. The other replies are correct, it is not duty free on ferries within the EU either. The prices you see on ferries will probably reflect the prices in the cheapest country that it sails to, for example, on Brittany Ferries fags are more expensive when sailing to France than they are when sailing to Spain. Or at least they were last time I sailed!

Hanau, Germany
reviews: 18
8. Re: Lack of duty free ie spirits and tobacco on flights.

With ferries it can be different like going to Helgoland you left the ?? miles from shore so they are allowed to sell duty free, Helgoland has resevered that right, so on a ferry going there you get duty free, also on the island itself.

Reply to: Lack of duty free ie spirits and tobacco on flights.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted