We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Middle names on boarding passes etc

reviews: 1
Middle names on boarding passes etc

Do you have to put middle names on boarding passes, flight info, bookings etc.

I don't have a middle name myself so hadn't considered this, however after reading several queries about their accuracy, placing, spelling etc I'm beginning to panic that I should have put my family's middle names on all the paperwork.

Should I have? They are of course on their passports.

10 replies to this topic
North America
reviews: 17
1. Re: Middle names on boarding passes etc

My boarding passes don't have my middle name included. However, the advance passenger information that is required to be submitted ahead of departure does require one's middle name (if there is one).

Cape May, New Jersey
reviews: 30
2. Re: Middle names on boarding passes etc

Whatever matches your passport is what is required.

3. Re: Middle names on boarding passes etc

Had an even bigger panic when I read these replies. As the Easyjet phone line isn't open yet I looked on the (£35pp!) name change section and the info there says "middle names not required" so I'm hoping that's the case for their API as well.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Middle names on boarding passes etc

Middle names do not matter a jot as detailed almost daily in this forum.

As long as your first name and surname on the ticket match the first name and surname on your passport you will be good to go. This is the same for any API.

Edited: 2:45 am, July 23, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Middle names on boarding passes etc

MrMarcoos is right. #2 is wrong.

Omitting middle names is not a problem. As long as your first name and surname (given name) match the passport exactly.

I've travelled on company business for close on 30 years and my company tickets don't have my middle name. Sometimes they have my middle initial (which of course doesn't match my full middle name in the passport, it's seven letters short). And I've NEVER had a problem.

Berkshire, England
reviews: 61
6. Re: Middle names on boarding passes etc

We have never had middle names on our boarding passes and have been flying two or three times a year for the past 20 years. Don't worry.

Cape May, New Jersey
reviews: 30
7. Re: Middle names on boarding passes etc

My reply was based on what I was told when calling the airline. My problem was that I legally use only my first initial, then middle name, Kathryn. This is what my passport shows. My tickets were issued using my first name and last name. Therefore, my issue may have been different. I had to cancel the ticket and re-purchase. I suspect it may have been OK, but didn't want to take the chance, as I was told I 'could' be denied boarding.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 26
8. Re: Middle names on boarding passes etc

I have 2 middle names, so simply don't put either. I've never had a problem.

9. Re: Middle names on boarding passes etc

Thank you everyone, I filled in a contact form for Easyjet to query it earlier this evening but I now feel I can breathe again while waiting for the reply.

Why did I give my children middle names?!!

Miami Beach, Florida
reviews: 22
10. Re: Middle names on boarding passes etc

TSA really does not care about middle names.

Reply to: Middle names on boarding passes etc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted