We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American candy and potato chips to Switzerland

Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
24 posts
American candy and potato chips to Switzerland

Am I allowed to bring american candy and potato chips into Switzerland? My friends want this specific type of candy from America and I'm bringing it to them. I'm guessing I have to everything in my check in bag.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
6,344 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: American candy and potato chips to Switzerland

Hi

I don't see why you couldn't take sweets to Switzerland, as long as they are the wrapped sealed variety, but crisps are bulky, take up to much room in hand luggage, are easily crushed and most types are available all over Europe.

Jackie

Illinois
Level Contributor
12,120 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: American candy and potato chips to Switzerland

Well, I don't know for sure about Switzerland, but I would think they'd be ok. However, you can take crisps/chips successfully if you're careful with them. I've brought them back from the UK in both checked and carry on luggage without problems. Just don't put them next to anything you don't want chips or grease on in case the bag gets broken.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: American candy and potato chips to Switzerland

I can just picture what the chips will look like after the journey. :) Unless they're in those 'tube' containers and not a bag.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
38,651 posts
80 reviews
4. Re: American candy and potato chips to Switzerland

While I can't represent customs, such dried goods are typically allowed with no issues. Declare them as needed per the customs form.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
66,450 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: American candy and potato chips to Switzerland

I have never been given a Customs form when landing in mainland Europe. Customs formalities normally consist of walking through an open doorway.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
91 reviews
6. Re: American candy and potato chips to Switzerland

I can confirm you will be absolutely fine.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
6,344 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: American candy and potato chips to Switzerland

Hi

Surely if you have a passport from outside the EU or EEA then you have to fill in a landing card on the plane.

Jackie

Travelling The World
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
32 reviews
8. Re: American candy and potato chips to Switzerland

"Surely if you have a passport from outside the EU or EEA then you have to fill in a landing card on the plane."

Not for Switzerland.

I regularly take candy, chips, drinks etc. back and forth to Switzerland. No problem at all.

Edited: 10:56 am, July 23, 2014
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
49,136 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: American candy and potato chips to Switzerland

There's no reason why you can't take candy or chips onto the plane in your checked or carry on luggage. There are no restrictions on those sorts of packaged goods but they might take up space that you'd need for other things.

Travelling The World
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
32 reviews
10. Re: American candy and potato chips to Switzerland

"There are no restrictions on those sorts of packaged goods"

While that is true, there are some countries which, while it is fine to bring them in, you must declare them on the customs form. Australia, New Zealand and the USA to name three.

Switzerland is not one of them however as you don't fill out a form.