We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia Airlines Flight Refunds

Raymond Terrace...
reviews: 30
Malaysia Airlines Flight Refunds

In light of the recent MH17 tragedy (and as far as I am concerned it is just that, a horrible tragedy, and not one that anyone could attribute to the airline), MH on their Facebook page are offering full refunds to anyone travelling up to a certain date (details of which escape me). I am travelling to London with MH in November and have no intention of changing my plans, but I was just curious - if you booked a MH flight through a travel agent (and some people do) would you still be entitled to the full refund? As I said, I'm only asking out of curiosity as I have no intention of changing my plans, but I know some people DO want to change plans and I wondered if the same offer would apply if travel agents were involved.

90 replies to this topic
Dreaming
reviews: 8
1. Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Refunds

Without seeing the full announcement (I don't "do" Facebook) it's hard to say although usually it would be the case and has been the case where other airlines have offered blanket refund policies. The terms and conditions should say whether it includes consol, ITX, nett, and cat35 fares (all of which are sold by travel agents) and not just published fares (which are sold by the airline - and sometimes travel agents when there are none of the afore-mentioned fare types available).

Brisbane, Australia
2. Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Refunds

Saturday, July 19, 10:00 AM GMT +0800 Media Statement 5: MH17 Incident

Media Statement 5: MH17 Incident

In light of the MH17 incident, Malaysia Airlines will be waiving any change fees for passengers who wish to make changes to their itinerary to any MH destinations.

Passengers who wish to postpone or cancel their travel plans can obtain a refund, including for non refundable tickets.

Our Enrich passengers will also receive fee waivers for any changes to their travel itinerary, as well as refunds of miles should they choose to cancel their redemption tickets.

These waivers are only applicable from 18 July 2014 until 24 July 2014, for travel between 18 July 2014 until 31 Dec 2014.

Passengers who wish to make changes to their travel plans may contact the nearest Malaysia Airlines ticketing office, or call our global Call Center at 1-300-88-3000.

Malaysia Airlines deeply regrets the loss of MH17, and is very much appreciative of the support from our passengers.

-end-

Auckland Region...
reviews: 80
3. Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Refunds

I too will probably just stick with my original booking with Malaysia Airlines, as I have too many non refundable components attached to my stoppovers in KL. I just hope that they do not go bankrupt as then I would lose my money, as that is not covered by Insurance.

However, if i choose to ask for a full refund, it will take up to 7 to 8 weeks to process, and as my entire trip will be over in less than that time, it the airline went bankrupt, I would not receive my refund anyway!

Usually i agree that it is preferable to book direct with the airline, but in this ocassion, if i had booked with a travel agent, I would probably have received a refund almost immediately, as colleagues who booked through 3rd party sites were able to cancel and book with another airline and just pay the difference on the spot.

When I called Malaysia Airlines, I was told it will take betwen 7 and 8 weeks for a refund to take place.

Edited: 8:00 pm, July 20, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 54
4. Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Refunds

My OS holiday is already booked this year but I would happily support MAS, they are a great airline and it would be a shame to see them go.

Raymond Terrace...
5. Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Refunds

Is there a danger of their going belly-up do you think? (I hadn't considered that option.) I agree with others that I will happily fly with them, but as hemikiwi points out I would lose out big time if they did collapse because I'm flying business class. I might just check with my travel agent to be on the safe side.

Edited: 9:01 pm, July 20, 2014
Auckland Region...
reviews: 80
6. Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Refunds

I am also flying business class. but as i am flyimng in less than 2 weeks, a refund would not be forthcoming until after my trip anyway, so not a lot i can do:)

Raymond Terrace...
7. Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Refunds

I'm guessing hemikiwi that you just cross your fingers and hope for the best. I have a feeling that everything will be ok. Big airline with good global reputation - anyone with any sense would know this isn't the fault of the airline.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 29
8. Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Refunds

Hi, I know its not the airline's fault - but i'm concerned about possible bankruptcy, even though its a nationalised airline.

I'm thinking of cancelling my Xmas flights to UK just in case - does anyone else think this is the best way to proceed, or am I being overly cautious?

Edited: 10:27 pm, July 20, 2014
Raymond Terrace...
9. Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Refunds

I think that if everyone did opt for a refund then the airline would be on shaky ground.

Raymond Terrace...
10. Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Refunds

Have just read this: abc.net.au/news/…5611488

I am reluctant, but having read that I am going to explore my options.

Reply to: Malaysia Airlines Flight Refunds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted