We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 1:23hrs enough time to get to connect in detroit?

1 post
1 review
Is 1:23hrs enough time to get to connect in detroit?

hi

im traveling from, london, heathrow at 10:10 to arrive at detroit at 13:57 to catch another flight at 15:20 to las vegas.

i am a uk citizen to will have to customs and i have checked baggage.

delta changed my flight time and they will not change my flight because it is a legal connection.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Is 1:23hrs enough time to get to connect in detroit?

I would say difficult if not impossible to clear INS/Customs (assuming it doesn't arrive late) and get to the next gate for your flight, only thing I would suggest if you try to get a seat at the pointy end and don't amble on the way to INS lines, worst case scenario Delta should rebook you onto the next available flight DLT-LAS with a spare seat free of charge

Edited: 1:49 pm, July 20, 2014
Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Is 1:23hrs enough time to get to connect in detroit?

We had 1:15 hour connection in Detroit I was worried that we will not make it, at the end our flight from FRA was early and the flight to Las Vegas was delayed so we had plenty of time.

We're German so had to go through immigration too, worst case Delta has to put you on a later flight, since they won't change your ticket there is not much you can do anyway.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,897 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Is 1:23hrs enough time to get to connect in detroit?

Last year when I connected in Detroit on my way home from Paris, getting through customs was an unorganized nightmare. There were 8 planes arriving at the same time. IIRC I had about 90 minutes to make my connection and I only made it because I cut into the customs line.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
49,099 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Is 1:23hrs enough time to get to connect in detroit?

Did you call Delta and they told you directly that they won't change your ticket??

By how much did the flights change time? I'd try calling again and asking for a supervisor as this timing can be iffy. Hopefully though your flight to Las Vegas is also on Delta so that if you happen to miss the flight they'll put you on the next one with available seating.

BTW getting them to change your flight has nothing to do with whether this is a "legal" connection but it does have to do with the amount of time involved in changing from your original ticket.

Edited: 3:34 pm, July 20, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Is 1:23hrs enough time to get to connect in detroit?

Thee are the minimum connection times at Detroit, International to Domestic

I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes

For DL-DL connections:

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes

So, keep your fingers crossed....

Illinois
Level Contributor
12,080 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Is 1:23hrs enough time to get to connect in detroit?

Assuming you bought your ticket directly from Delta and called them and they wouldn't change the flight, I'd call back and try a different agent. I had to call United 3 times when they cancelled my flight home from London last winter before I got someone who could (or would) do what I wanted. I'd also check flights online and know what you want them to change you to. I prefer 3 hours for an int'l to domestic connection, so would try again.

7. Re: Is 1:23hrs enough time to get to connect in detroit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, August 02, 2014
Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,897 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Is 1:23hrs enough time to get to connect in detroit?

finchjerry,

Have you ever heard of punctuation?

Doesn't really matter since you're a spammer anyway.

Frankfort, Indiana
Level Contributor
812 posts
1 review
9. Re: Is 1:23hrs enough time to get to connect in detroit?

I can't answer the question, but I can say that Delta should help you out by switching the flight even if it is a legal connection. Earlier this summer, I flew IND-LAX-LAS and then had LAS-LAX-IND for my return. They changed my return to LAS-LAX-ATL-IND and then about a week later, they changed it to LAS-ATL-IND, but I only had a 46 minute layover at ATL. I typically avoid ATL at all costs and this was a flight coming in fairly late so I didn't want to get in a case where I missed my flight and there were no more flights to IND until the next day so I called Delta and they switched my flight with no questions asked. I already knew what flights were available so I asked about putting me on a flight through MSP that gave me almost a 2 hour layover and they looked, saw there were seats available, and made the change for me. They only thing they couldn't do was transfer my Economy Comfort to my new flights because the agent said there was different coding on the flights that wouldn't allow her to transfer it over to the new flights so they refunded my money for that and I had to purchase the Economy Comfort again if I wanted it.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
378 reviews
10. Re: Is 1:23hrs enough time to get to connect in detroit?

If it's doable, DTW is one airport where it is.

"delta changed my flight time and they will not change my flight because it is a legal connection." That is contrary to my experience. You've looked at Delta's schedule and found how soon the next flight is after the one you're booked on? I've generally found Delta more accommodating than that. As noted, if the first person you talk with won't help, ask for a supervisor. If they won't change it, and you miss your connection, Delta will put you on the next flight with available seats to your destination, but that may not be the very next flight.

Delta's terminal (MacNamara Terminal) at DTW is relatively small, modern and easy to use, with a good train system. I'd want more time, but if that's not possible, DTW is one where you'd have better chances than at, say, ATL, JFK, ORD, etc.

Edited: 12:34 pm, August 02, 2014