We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia hell

Yorkshire, United...
reviews: 8
Air Asia hell

We have just been told by Air Asia that our return flight from Langkawi to Kuching (Aug 2014) has been suspended. We are travelling with a family of 4 from the UK, so this is extremely inconvenient. We have tried to get on the live chat, but once we get a response after waiting over 60 minutes each time, the guy on the other end does not respond to the query, and we get timed out after 10 minutes. This has happened twice, so we decided on emailing, and after acknowledging the email and asking us to wait for a response, we hear nothing. All our hotels and flights have been preplanned, so we are not sure what to do. The offer of a full refund is useless, as it is a return flight.

Anyone else have such poor experience with Air Asia?

31 replies to this topic
Salisbury, United...
reviews: 65
1. Re: Air Asia hell

Sadly this can happen with any airline and it is one of the perils of booking everything your self.

Are there any alternative flights you could be transferred to? If not you will need to take a refund and book with another carrier.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Air Asia hell

"The offer of a full refund is useless, as it is a return flight."

What does this mean? Why not just opt for a refund and rebook with another airline? I would suggest calling them, in these cases it's usually better to talk on the phone rather than emailing.

London, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: Air Asia hell

You have to phone them. Know what you want in advance. If they have an alternate flight that is preferable, then ask them to switch you to it. If not you can do one of two things, stick with the schedule change and amend your plans accordingly or get a refund and book with another carrier. That's it, that's the three options, but you need to call them.

Yorkshire, United...
reviews: 8
4. Re: Air Asia hell

There is an 8 hour time difference and it costs too much to call from the UK. We are planning to contact them once we reach Kuching. One of the options they offered was an earlier return flight to Kuching, but we have already booked our accommodation both in Langkawi and Kuching, and I can't see why we have to shorten our trip of a lifetime to Langkawi, just because of their inconsideration .

London, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Air Asia hell

Well you might find the seats have sold out when you get there, it's your choice, but the odds are the longer you delay the less options you will have as other people pick their options.

As for not knowing why you should shorten your trip, they are not going to reinstate the flight because it inconveniences you. So pick one of the three options and phone them. If you delay phoning them, then you need to review your options again before you do, because they may be very, very different then.

Edinburgh
reviews: 4
6. Re: Air Asia hell

Take the refund and book with another airline, simple really!

While I sympathise with you to a certain extent, I think your topic title is way over the top and lacking sensitivity considering the events of 2 days ago. I would consider what the families and friends of those who died are going through real hell just now. You are nothing in comparison!

I'm really not wanting to sound nasty or unfriendly but your title should have been thought out a bit more carefully.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: Air Asia hell

Langkawi to Kuching flights are discontinued on 4 August. There don't appear to be any alternative non stop options.

These things happen from time to time on ALL airlines. Sorry it's happened to you. Start looking at alternatives, including asking Air Asia for a THROUGH CHECK option via Kuala Lumpur.

Use email and Twitter to contact them, and be POLITE.

But don't go OTT. It's not hell, it's an inconvenience. Hell is what's happened to the families of MH17 and other disasters.

Good luck.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
8. Re: Air Asia hell

"We are planning to contact them once we reach Kuching."

Unless you are arriving there shortly that's a poor plan IMO. If you end up rebooking on another airline you'd want to do so sooner rather than later due to the price.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
9. Re: Air Asia hell

Hi,

Re: 04

"I can't see why we have to shorten our trip of a lifetime to Langkawi, just because of their inconsideration ."

==> it's not so much as to inconsideration - as I doubt there was any real thought on their end about this.. But it is more of a simple economic decision .

As such, you have X number of options - one being (and the one I would opt for at this juncture) a fee-free refund... Is take that and rebook with a different carrier.

In the end, AirAsia isn't going to, nor do they have to, do anything (or recognize for that matter) any perceived inconsideration.

Schedules change and that is just one of the risks anyone takes when booking - AirAsia, a full-fare carrier or otherwise.

I do think that you've got a valid issue with the ease or ability to contact them - to this end, I agree.

Travel Safe,

(Note of self-disclosure, my spouse is a direct employee of an AirAsia carrier, but not of the Malaysian arm, to which this issue relates; nor do either of us hold any financial interests in any AirAsia group company)

UK
reviews: 88
10. Re: Air Asia hell

<<There is an 8 hour time difference and it costs too much to call from the UK. We are planning to contact them once we reach Kuching. >>

Have you heard the phrase "penny wise, pound foolish?" Leave it so late and your options will be severely curtailed and other flights you can go on, more expensive. Possibly considerably more so. You'll also be left trying to reschedule flights when away from home possibly with difficulties accessing phones or Internet, and eating into your holiday

<< One of the options they offered was an earlier return flight to Kuching, but we have already booked our accommodation both in Langkawi and Kuching, and I can't see why we have to shorten our trip of a lifetime to Langkawi, just because of their inconsideration >>

Believe it or not, the airline isn't going to change its schedules a second time merely to accommodate your "trip of a lifetime ". You probably aren't aware but a few years back AA cancelled an entire schedule for months out affecting tens of thousands of people.

Also, get some perspective,this isn't "hell" or anywhere near it. It's a minor change to a luxury holiday most people couldn't afford in a lifetime.

Reply to: Air Asia hell
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted