We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mounted TSA locks in Europe

Saskatoon Sk.
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Mounted TSA locks in Europe

Travelling to Italy and wondering if anyone has had problems with luggage that has TSA mounted locks. Works well when travelling in the US but are the security agents able to open them in European airports?

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
37,531 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Mounted TSA locks in Europe

I assume that security agents will need you to be present if they want to open your bags.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: Mounted TSA locks in Europe

Best advice is to not travel with that bag. They don't have to be kind when opening them, and they certainly aren't going to come looking for you.

Magog, Canada
Level Contributor
31,786 posts
668 reviews
3. Re: Mounted TSA locks in Europe

Locking a suitcase does not prevent thieves from getting your stuff and I am sure that custom agents all over the world also know their way around. It only takes a few seconds to get in. Buying a lock is a waste of money unless you have a proper suitcase like a Pacsafe. Here is the well-known video again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJtx7Od1He4

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
21,093 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Mounted TSA locks in Europe

I use hardtops with mounted (moulded) TSA locks, have traveled around Asia and Europe and never had a problem. The one time security needed to open my bag (Narita) they brought it to the boarding gate and had me unlock it myself.

Level Contributor
2,865 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Mounted TSA locks in Europe

Yes, just as in Japan, the norm in Europe is to put out a call for the passenger and ask him/her to open the case if the security staff see something suspicious when they scan it. Of course if the passenger doesn't respond to the call, the bag doesn't fly, and neither does the passenger! These calls are rare, because after all most people don't have explosive devices in their hold baggage, or even anything that a properly trained operator could mistake for them..

It seems to outsiders that the TSA have a quota of bags that they must physically inspect each day, whereas elsewhere there needs to be a reason to open baggage.

Edited: 1:34 am, July 17, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
146 reviews
6. Re: Mounted TSA locks in Europe

I have a suitcase with those TSA approved locks, but I never lock it. After having a combination system unlocked and reset with a different combination (meaning I could not unlock it) on my 1st trip to Italy, I now never bother with locks at all. I'm sure whoever did it, had a good laugh though!

Level Contributor
3,386 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: Mounted TSA locks in Europe

Pacsafe won't help. If the TSA can get in anyone can. But they can get you to spend your $$$$

Level Contributor
258 posts
701 reviews
8. Re: Mounted TSA locks in Europe

Putting locks on your baggage is the equivalent to putting a sign on it: Valuables in.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
993 posts
213 reviews
9. Re: Mounted TSA locks in Europe

Yes I had a call from NZ customs asking for the combination of my TSA locks to get into my bag when they arrived 24 hours after we did last year. So used to flying to the US that I didn't think twice about putting them on my bag.

10. Re: Mounted TSA locks in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 20, 2015