We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Canada via UK: Is Transit visa required.

New Delhi, India
Travelling to Canada via UK: Is Transit visa required.

Hi All,

I am from India and travelling to Canada via Air India flight. I have a stopover halt at London Heathrow Airport for 4 hours 45 minutes. I will be required to again check in my luggage at the Heathrow airport to board the connecting flight to Canada. I have a valid visa to travel to Canada, however I am unsure whether I will need a Transit visa for the UK. Please advise.

Thanks,

Isha

16 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
1. Re: Travelling to Canada via UK: Is Transit visa required.

Normally there is an exemption from the requirement for a visa for Indians who possess a valid visa for USA / Canada / EU countries

https:/…no

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Travelling to Canada via UK: Is Transit visa required.

Are your inbound flight (to LHR) and your onward flight (from LHR to Canada) booked on the same one ticket, or separate tickets?

It's VERY important that you let us know this.

New Delhi, India
3. Re: Travelling to Canada via UK: Is Transit visa required.

Thanks for the response.

Yes it is booked on the same ticket, although there will be a change in aircraft so I need to again check in the luggage at Heathrow. It is going to be an Air India flight to LHR, 4.45 hours halt at Heathrow Airport and Air Canada flight to Canada.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
4. Re: Travelling to Canada via UK: Is Transit visa required.

"Yes it is booked on the same ticket, although there will be a change in aircraft so I need to again check in the luggage at Heathrow."

If the flights are on a single ticket there should be no need to collect your bags in LHR - Air India should check your bags through to your final destination and should also provide boarding passes for both flights when you check in at your first departure airport.

You can find out more on the connection process at LHR here.

heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/f…

New Delhi, India
5. Re: Travelling to Canada via UK: Is Transit visa required.

Thanks for the response.

I have spoken to the Air India customer care representative and have been told that the baggage check in will be required at LHR, that is why I have raised the query about transit visa.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
6. Re: Travelling to Canada via UK: Is Transit visa required.

"I have spoken to the Air India customer care representative and have been told that the baggage check in will be required at LHR"

I find that surprising as both Air India and Air Canada are members of Star Alliance and have an interline agreement so there should not be an issue over getting the bags checked through to your final destination.

This makes ne question whether you do have a single ticket covering the flights - where did you buy from and do you have a single PNR.

New Delhi, India
7. Re: Travelling to Canada via UK: Is Transit visa required.

Yep I have booked it not via Air India website but through a travel website. PNR number is the same for both my inbound and outbound flights. I am not worried about my return flight as both the aircrafts (From Canada to Frankfurt and Frankfurt to New Delhi) are Air Canada. However outbound is Delhi to LHR- Air India and LHR to Montreal- Air Canada.

Loughborough...
reviews: 25
8. Re: Travelling to Canada via UK: Is Transit visa required.

Your return flight will not be Air Canada throughout as they do not fly between Frankfurt and New Delhi. I imagine it is their Star Alliance partner Lufthansa for this section, though it may well carry an Air Canada flight number as well as its own number.. If so there will still be no need to re-check baggage, and I'm very surprised indeed that you have to on the outward journey via LHR.

I wonder if the information that Air India has given you has been distorted and their agent should have been telling you that you need to change terminals at LHR, since Air India will arrive at T4 and Air Canada will depart from T2. You can certainly do this without crossing the UK border. If you get strange information from an airline agent it is often worth contacting the airline again and getting a different person - some are better trained than others, and you may well get a more helpful response the second time.

Edited: 7:40 am, July 15, 2014
New Delhi, India
9. Re: Travelling to Canada via UK: Is Transit visa required.

Thanks for the suggestions. They were indeed very helpful. I will contact the concerned people!

Cheers!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 80
10. Re: Travelling to Canada via UK: Is Transit visa required.

In order to pick up your bag you would have to clear UK immigration, and that doesn't make sense. Ensure that they tag your bags all the way through to Canada and you will simply need to follow the signs for international connections.

Reply to: Travelling to Canada via UK: Is Transit visa required.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted