We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips for a stop over LON - SIN/CGK/KUL or maybe BKK?

london
reviews: 31
Any tips for a stop over LON - SIN/CGK/KUL or maybe BKK?

I am trying to travel LON - KNO (Medan, Indonesia) within the next few days for around 5 weeks, at a good price.

I need to reach SIN, CGK, KUL or BKK to get my local connection to KNO.

I would like to do a stopover en route.

We went via India a few years ago and the visas is not something I want to deal with again (no time besides). Last year was via DXB, it was horribly hot, so want to avoid that.

Colombo is another option, as is Hong Kong, but I'm not really finding any great fares.....

Any suggestions for alternatives I could consider?

15 replies to this topic
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight
reviews: 196
1. Re: Any tips for a stop over LON - SIN/CGK/KUL or maybe BKK?

You can fly Malaysian Airlines LHR to Medan - Kualanamu (KNO) for £579. You are allowed to stopover in KL outbound and return.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: Any tips for a stop over LON - SIN/CGK/KUL or maybe BKK?

I would stop over in SIN.

london
3. Re: Any tips for a stop over LON - SIN/CGK/KUL or maybe BKK?

"You can fly Malaysian Airlines LHR to Medan - Kualanamu (KNO) for £579. You are allowed to stopover in KL outbound and return."

No I can't.

" permitted 01jul 14 through 06jul 14 or 12aug 14 through 04dec 14 or 11jan 15 through 27mar 15 on the first international sector.

"

First flight must be after 12th August. Way too late.

Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Any tips for a stop over LON - SIN/CGK/KUL or maybe BKK?

Turkish Airlines with a stop in Istanbul ?

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight
reviews: 196
5. Re: Any tips for a stop over LON - SIN/CGK/KUL or maybe BKK?

Thank you so much for pointing that out.

Looks like you'll have to wait until August 12 if you want a cheaper fare

Even Emirates is around £800 plus to KL

london
6. Re: Any tips for a stop over LON - SIN/CGK/KUL or maybe BKK?

So I can do £320 ex CAI to CGK. But that still leaves me needing to get to CAI, which isn't cheap either.....

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 138
7. Re: Any tips for a stop over LON - SIN/CGK/KUL or maybe BKK?

Check Royal Brunei- they have an extra refuelling stop in dubai (1-2hrs), but they fly to those destinations. Another option is Eva Air direct to bkk.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 167
8. Re: Any tips for a stop over LON - SIN/CGK/KUL or maybe BKK?

Normally out of London there are lots of good deals to SIN, but trying to book one for travelling in the next few days during the summer will be a challenge.

Flights on SQ LHR - SIN will set you back STG 1100 next couple of weeks, but down to STG 545 later part of August.

The best rates on SQ out of UK now is MAN - SIN at STG 782 on 21 July, only few seats left! From SIN to KNO there are many choices.

london
9. Re: Any tips for a stop over LON - SIN/CGK/KUL or maybe BKK?

That MAN-SIN flight is already full, see below:

F4 P4 A2 Z1 C0 J0 D0 S0 Y0 B0 E0 M0 H0 W0 Q0 N0 U0 G0 L0 K0

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: Any tips for a stop over LON - SIN/CGK/KUL or maybe BKK?

Somewhere,

Given the options you've listed I'd stop over in Bangkok. It's cheap, and given the aftermath of the recent political demos quite possibly very cheap (while being quite safe). If you've been there before and are looking for a change then I understand. If not it's a great place to visit for a few days.

I'm biased. I visit at least once a year and have friends there. And I frequented Bangkok because of the cheap hotel rates that followed previous "issues".

Personally I haven't yet made it to Singapore. I'd like to, but it's a lot more expensive than Thailand.

The only other thing to consider is the airlines that you'd fly to KNO. From Bangkok it's Air Asia (from DMK), LCC with all fees attached. From SIN it's SilkAir (SQ's regional subsidiary). Although this may for you go without saying (just repeating it in case) make sure you check the overall costs and allowances.

Looking at KNO's wiki page there aren't a great set if other options, but feel free to look (I find that airport wiki pages are generally accurate, but caveat emptor) - wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuala_Namu_International_…

Edited: 12:03 am, July 15, 2014
Reply to: Any tips for a stop over LON - SIN/CGK/KUL or maybe BKK?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted