We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquids in hand baggage

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Liquids in hand baggage

Can i use a urine sample bottle to squeeze some sun cream in to to take in my my hand luggage. They are small and i can get loads for free i don't have any other tiny bottles and i don't want to have to buy any. Also if a put some free sample moisturiser sachets in my hand luggage will it be confiscated i know they are funny about liquids these days and its 9 years since i last flew.We are only going from Leeds to Belfast

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
26,129 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Liquids in hand baggage

Moisturiser is a liquid, whether in a sachet or otherwise so it will have to go in your liquids bag. You can use whatever bottles/jars you like as long as they're no more than 100ml. They also have to go in your liquids bag. Sealable clear bag max size 20 x 20 cm and no more than 1 litre in total in the bag.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
218 reviews
2. Re: Liquids in hand baggage

The rule is 100ml max for the container, and they must fit in a transparent resealable bag of not more than 1 litre capacity, 1 bag per passenger.

In the USA, it is known as the TSA 3-1-1 rule: 3.4 ounce, 1 quart, 1bag

Edited: 6:40 am, July 14, 2014
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Liquids in hand baggage

From the US, any bottle 3.2 oz or less in a one quart clear ziplok bag, no problem. Other countries have different rules. The Cubans once let us carry on a gallon jug of water!

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: Liquids in hand baggage

Sachets? Are these like wipes? Then it's not liquid. If you can pour it, it's a liquid.

London, United...
Level Contributor
21,713 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Liquids in hand baggage

No a sachet is a little square which contains the fluid, you get then free as samples at make up counters,,that sort of thing,

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Liquids in hand baggage

Right. We call them 'wipes.'

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
50,496 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: Liquids in hand baggage

Wipes don't have to go into the liquid bag. They don't pour so they are not "liquid".

I have wipes for hand cleansing and mosquito repelling.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
18,233 posts
229 reviews
8. Re: Liquids in hand baggage

If you do use the urine sample bottles, just make sure that they are new and unused.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,056 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Liquids in hand baggage

Also be sure those urine sample bottles are small enough (no more than 100ml.) and that all will fit into the one liter bag. I haven't seen urine sample bottles that small here in the US, such that several would all fit easily into that small plastic bag - but then I haven't been looking at a lot of urine sample bottles!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
50,729 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Liquids in hand baggage

If your C&S containers are like ours in Canada then they are quite sturdy plastic and have lids that seal quite well: mysynergylab.com/uploads/…SterileUrineCup.jpg They hold 60 mL and can be used for all sorts of specimen collection.

I've taken liquids through Security using these containers and no one has commented.