We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigarettes from US to UK?

Birmingham
Cigarettes from US to UK?

Hi I don't smoke but a friend wants me to but her a carton if cigarettes from orlando airport.... I was thinking of jst buying the one box with 20 cigs in but she told me she wants a carton if 200 if I get this would I have to declare it? And if I get less then 200 would I have to declare it? I need fast answers leaving tomorrow.

39 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
1. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

you are allowed to bring in 200 cigarettes from the US duty free.

Edited: 10:58 am, July 13, 2014
London, United...
reviews: 22
2. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

Yes, it's fine, you don't declare,,,and no point bringing a smoker one pack of 20 :-))

3. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, July 14, 2014

4. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, July 14, 2014

Birmingham
5. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

Thank you. I need to buy them without my dad knowing. So I don't want to be stopped and be told to take it out of the bag.

London, United...
reviews: 5
6. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

Actually, you are not permitted to bring in 200 cigarettes tax free for a friend. In the words of HMRC

hmrc.gov.uk/customs/…arrivingnoneu.htm

" you can bring in a certain amount of duty/tax free goods for your own use - known as an 'allowance'. "

Thus you may only bring them in for your own use, not for a friend. If you were stopped and asked if they were for your own use, would you be able to answer affirmatively ?

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
7. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

What could possibly go wrong....

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
8. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

If you were stopped and asked if they were for your own use, would you be able to answer affirmatively ?

---------------------------------

You'd have to say yes to avoid the duty but then your dad may force you to smoke the lot in one go to teach you a lesson. Best to say no to your friend.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 105
9. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

How old are you? If you're legally old enough to buy them why would dad care?

Hanau, Germany
reviews: 8
10. Re: Cigarettes from US to UK?

Not once was I asked about cigarettes I bought duty free, as long as you're in the limit, worst case a big argument with your dad.

Oh, you have to be at least 18 to bring them.

Reply to: Cigarettes from US to UK?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted