We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I leave the airport during a layover?

Auckland Region...
Can I leave the airport during a layover?

I am boarding a plane from New Zealand to England via Singapore. We are in transit for 5 hours and we are not able to register for the free airport bus trip in time (as we arrive at 6pm). Am I allowed to leave the airport during the transit period?

10 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
1. Re: Can I leave the airport during a layover?

You can leave the airport provided your passport allows visa-free entry into Singapore.

Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 150
2. Re: Can I leave the airport during a layover?

Yes you can, however 5hrs is probably not enough time. By the time you got out, you would probably only have 3hrs before you would be due back at the gate.

Then a 30 minute taxi to city each way (plus traffic).

Singapore airport is so huge and they have so much to see and do. No need to leave there at all.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
3. Re: Can I leave the airport during a layover?

Yes you may, assuming your passport allows you visa free entry. Remember to take your boarding pass for your next flight with you otherwise you may not be able to re-enter airside. You may like to enjoy a seafood dinner at East Coast Seafood Centre just 15-mins from the airport by taxi.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
4. Re: Can I leave the airport during a layover?

travellinallover is quite correct about Changi airport. I've often thought it would make quite a nice destination. There's plenty to keep people of all ages and interests occupied. As well as the usual shopping and dining options, there's theatres, galleries, day spas, even a swimming pool.

If you do want to leave the airport, you can catch a cab or the MTR from the airport. With a half hour trip into town and then back again you'd not have time to see much of Singapore. You could go to one of the 'villages' near the airport, like Changi Village or Tampines to get a feel for the place. Just a short taxi ride away andenough time to have a bite to eat and do some shopping at the local markets or just have a wander around and soak up the atmosphere.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
5. Re: Can I leave the airport during a layover?

If you have a particular restaurant or place you wanted to visit, you should be ok for a quick bite or whatever, provided your citizenship grants you visa-free entry and your flight doesn't arrive late. Enjoy Singapore!

Miami Beach, Florida
reviews: 22
6. Re: Can I leave the airport during a layover?

Yes, but you'll have to check in again with your documents and pass thru security again. I did that years ago at Heathrow and there was a security scare and they made me climb a fence to get back inside. I am not making that up.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 37
7. Re: Can I leave the airport during a layover?

If you have a maximum of 4 hours ... and you say 5 ... you have time to take the free tour from the airport. And why wouldn't anyone want that? I am not a fan of airports ... it's a nice enough airport but a nice tour would be my pick.

changiairport.com/at-changi/leisure-indulgen…

Edited: 2:25 am, July 25, 2014
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 23
8. Re: Can I leave the airport during a layover?

able

as mentioned in Opening Post

>>we are not able to register for the free airport bus trip in time

London, United...
reviews: 89
9. Re: Can I leave the airport during a layover?

If you do decide to stay in the airport, you could consider booking a room at one of the airside Transit Hotels (called Ambassador Transit Hotel). There is one in each Terminal (1, 2 & 3) - the one in Terminal 1 is the one with the pool - and although I normally fly in and out of T3, I book into T1, so I can use the pool. It breaks up the journey nicely - to be able to have a swim, and a shower and a lie down!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
10. Re: Can I leave the airport during a layover?

Yes you may, assuming your passport allows you visa free entry. Remember to take your boarding pass for your next flight with you otherwise you may not be able to re-enter airside. You may like to enjoy a seafood dinner at East Coast Seafood Centre just 15-mins from the airport by taxi.

Reply to: Can I leave the airport during a layover?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted