We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson 5kg hand luggage

Wales
reviews: 4
Thomson 5kg hand luggage

I've asked this question on another forum but there wasn't much enthusiasm.

If I am checking in online and just taking hand luggage, and therefore not visiting the bag drop desk, as long as my hand luggage is the correct dimensions, do I need to worry about the 5kg limit?

Has anyone ever seen hand luggage weighed at the gate?

63 replies to this topic
Worthing, United...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Thomson 5kg hand luggage

The 5kg limit is there for passenger comfort and safety based on the fleet the Thomson operate. If you exceed the weight limit, expect to be fined.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
2. Re: Thomson 5kg hand luggage

Yes you do need to worry about the 5kg weight. The limit applies to everyone on the aircraft, not just those that check luggage. Excess luggage is charged at £13 or €16 per kilogram for short/mid haul and £18 or $27 per kilogram for longhaul. It would also need to be put in the hold.

London.UK
reviews: 1
3. Re: Thomson 5kg hand luggage

>>> If you exceed the weight limit, expect to be fined.<<<

It's not a 'fine' it's a pre-determined and clearly stated charge for excess weight.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
4. Re: Thomson 5kg hand luggage

You don't need to worry about the 5kg limit, as long as your carry-on luggage meets the weight limit.

London
reviews: 21
5. Re: Thomson 5kg hand luggage

Has anyone ever seen hand luggage weighed at the gate? <<<<<

Yes, not with Thomson, but Thomas Cook earlier this year hand luggage was being checked and weighed at boarding gate so expect Thomson will be the same.

Sefton
reviews: 8
6. Re: Thomson 5kg hand luggage

Our hand luggage was weighed for our Thomson flight last month. First time it has happened but we don't take much, usually my laptop case and a largish shopper (practically empty) mainly for extra space coming home

Edited: 2:45 pm, July 11, 2014
London, United...
reviews: 22
7. Re: Thomson 5kg hand luggage

Personally, I would recommend compliance or checking a bag. You can take the risk on both legs, but you have a fairly good chance of getting caught and paying the contracted fees.

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 62
8. Re: Thomson 5kg hand luggage

Earlier this year our hand baggage was weighed on our Thomson flight. Each approved bag had a tag on it. The tag was checked at boarding. Not too sure what happened if you didn't have a tag.

Only you know if you are prepared to take the risk. For me it wouldn't be worth it.

Penryn, United...
reviews: 6
9. Re: Thomson 5kg hand luggage

more than likely the check in staff are paid a bonus to find overweight bags , ryanair have been known to do this as well

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
10. Re: Thomson 5kg hand luggage

<<more than likely the check in staff are paid a bonus to find overweight bags , ryanair have been known to do this as well>>

Why would their handling agents be on a bonus to find overweight bags? The limit is 5kg and if it's over people should have to pay to check it in. The rules apply to everyone. Hopefully all airlines will tighten up on hand luggage sizes and weights.

Reply to: Thomson 5kg hand luggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted