We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irksome high pitched shriek on Air Asia flight

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 2
Irksome high pitched shriek on Air Asia flight

My last flight from Kuala Lumpur to Adelaide, I was at the very back the plane. There a couple of curious things going on.

First up, they didn't switch the air con for ages. There must have been some ambient heat in the plane from the climate at the airport, and when 300 passengers boarded, it didn't help matters. About every fourth person on the plane was fanning themselves with one of the info cards in the seat pouch for about all the way through taxiiing and take off, but the staff didn't seem to notice, and didn't put on the air con until long after I (and, no doubt, a few other people) complained.

But the more disturbing thing was the constant high pitched squealing noise coming from the door at the back left. It was like tinnitus, only much louder. It sounded like the death complaints of an electric motor that's been cranked far too high.

I asked a flight attendant what it was, and her only reply was: "Would you like to be moved to a new seat?"

Given this didn't answer my question, I asked it again, and was given same non-answer.

This time I said yes. I figured if the plane was going to crash because of an explosive decompression, as a result of a door failing, I may as well die in comfort. I was also worried that the high pitched shriek might actually damage my hearing, if I was subjected to it for too long.

The good news is that there was no explosive decompression, the plane didn't crash, I'm still alive and my hearing is still good. And, when I changed seats, not only did I get away from the noise, but I got an entire middle row to myself. I was actually able to lie down on my side and get some sleep on the overnight flight, which was unheard of.

Still very puzzled about what that noise from the door was though.

12 replies to this topic
Melbourne
reviews: 1
1. Re: Irksome high pitched shriek on Air Asia flight

Maybe they just needed some WD-40?

London, United...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Irksome high pitched shriek on Air Asia flight

Perhaps it was late arriving passenger hanging onto the wing ?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
3. Re: Irksome high pitched shriek on Air Asia flight

Or a dog under your seat yelping LOL

Lancaster, United...
reviews: 39
4. Re: Irksome high pitched shriek on Air Asia flight

Or a genuine fault.

Which was (hopefully) reported by the aircrew & checked/repaired:-)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
5. Re: Irksome high pitched shriek on Air Asia flight

< I figured if the plane was going to crash because of an explosive decompression, as a result of a door failing, I may as well die in comfort. >

Given the design of doors it's extremely unlikely to happen as they have to be moved inwards first - the only way they'd fail would be if the whole area round the door went

As for the noise - it was a very small leak around a door seal. Normally the crew stick a towel in the offending spot which normally stops the noise by reducing the airflow. It's surprisingly common

uk
reviews: 228
6. Re: Irksome high pitched shriek on Air Asia flight

Probably a baby

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 775
7. Re: Irksome high pitched shriek on Air Asia flight

Maybe it was someone who went to the toilets after someone did a No 2 ;-)

Tommo

Hertfordshire
reviews: 4
8. Re: Irksome high pitched shriek on Air Asia flight

We had the exact same thing on a flight from Menorca to London. Flight crew said the door wasn't shut properly but that it's fine. I would have loved to move but the plan was full. I have to admit I was a bit scared at the time but it was all fine.

United Kingdom
reviews: 53
9. Re: Irksome high pitched shriek on Air Asia flight

I like sitting at the very back of an aircraft if I can't sit right at the front in 1st class....

..... I know the back is the safest place to be on board, because there hasn't been a single instance of an aircraft reversing into a mountain..... Yet!

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 121
10. Re: Irksome high pitched shriek on Air Asia flight

I thought the thread was going to be about an annoying passenger :).

Never experienced anything like this or read about it, but if the staff crew were unconcerned, then it wouldn't have worried me.

I'd be bothered about the noise though

Reply to: Irksome high pitched shriek on Air Asia flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted