We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it fare?

Botucatu, SP
reviews: 51
Is it fare?

I had booked a flight from St. Petersburg to Tallinn, in Russia, for the end of June 2013. I bought 2 tickets and my husband passed away on April 22. I immediately sent emails to hotels, boats and air companies adding his Death CErtification.All of them refunded me but . Nowergian was the ONLY one that didn´t give me back a cent. All the others did without charging fines and I even received emails comforting me. I will never fly this Company. They had 2 months to sell my tickets and the reason of my cancellation was more than reasonable

PS. Fair, not fare...sorry.

Edited: 6:54 pm, July 10, 2014
33 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Is it fare?

Actually, it is entirely fair.

With air tickets, "non-refundable" means that you do not get a refund under any circumstances. If you want to get a refund for the death of a relative, you have to take out travel insurance.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 165
2. Re: Is it fare?

Unfortunate, but fair within the T&C's of the airline, and the tickets purchased.

Now, were I in charge of the department responsible for refunds, etc., I would have tried to exhibit a bit of compassion, considering the situation. This as an act of good will. However, the airline was under no obligation to offer anything for the non-refundable tickets.

When my mother died, among her effects, we discovered a rather large US Government check, which was stated as being good for 60 days. It was approximately 90 days after issue, that we discovered it, and contacted the agency. Their final statement was "We are sorry to hear of your loss, but the check clearly stated the term, before it would expire... "

Sorry for your loss, but glad that all other parties were understanding, perhaps to the point of bending some of their rules.

Hunt

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
3. Re: Is it fare?

Hi Denise

It is not fair, at the worst time of your life to use T&C's to keep your money is cruel. Been there done that got the teeshirt.

Take care

Jackie

Edited: 7:30 pm, July 10, 2014
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
4. Re: Is it fare?

None of this is fair and I am so sorry.

When my husband died last summer, UA promptly refunded his unused tickets when I sent a request with his death certificate. I am not sure I would give up on this one. Try again.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 36
5. Re: Is it fare?

Non-refundable tickets are not always non-refundable. It really depends on the tariff rules of the particular carrier. I travel mostly with Air Canada, and their conditions of carriage have a specific clause that does provide for the refund of an otherwise non-refundable ticket for either the death of the passenger, the death of a travelling companion on the ticket, or a ticket specifically purchased to visit a family member that has passed since the purchase of the ticket. It would appear that Norwegian doesn't have a similar clause in their terms and conditions.

Even if the ticket was not refundable, I would have thought it possible to at least recoup some of the government fees and taxes that may be included in the ticket price?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 54
6. Re: Is it fare?

Sorry for your loss yeah unfortunately you have to get travel insurance I did when my mom passed away last year.

7. Re: Is it fare?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:07 am, July 11, 2014

Botucatu, SP
8. Re: Is it fare?

Thank you all for the kind messages you posted. I had an insurance for the trip but only to be used while i was abroad. I still get very upset becsuse they were very insensitive. I had bought thet tickets for me and my hunby from SP to Moscow. Iberia refunded me totalily. The ferry ticket from Riga to Stockholm was non refundable either and a flight from Oslo to Copenhagen, as well the train tickets inside Norway. I got all the money back. So i will always prefer these companies and Nowegian never again. There was enough time to sell my tickets. More than 2 months. These attitudes make the difference when you have to use a service again. It was only a case of sensitivity and rrespect but it seems this company has any.

Edited: 10:07 pm, July 10, 2014
Botucatu, SP
9. Re: Is it fare?

It happened suddenly and 2 months before our trip. I was aware of having a health insurance but i never thought he would not be able to travel. I am not upset because of the money. I lost someone that can not be " refunded" and that was my big loss. I only got upset because i realized that people mean nothing. Now a days only money counts...thank you for caring.

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 194
10. Re: Is it fare?

I am so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how I would feel if my partner passed away suddenly and unexpectedly.

Try and move on, chasing Norwegian for a refund will not help you get over this. Be grateful for the refunds you have had and the compassion shown by those companies, forget about the money, remember the good times and allow time to help with your grieving process. Good luck and best wishes.

Reply to: Is it fare?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted