We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aerlingus, auction for a Business Class seat...

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
reviews: 74
Aerlingus, auction for a Business Class seat...

Good evening all,

Just read today that Aerlingus will introduce an auction style option for long haul flights, mostly to the US, where you can bid for a Business Class seat.

Not sure if it's a publicity stunt or if it will really work...

What do you think ?

http://goo.gl/zGhJik

11 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
1. Re: Aerlingus, auction for a Business Class seat...

Several airlines have considered this already and some are still doing it.... type bid for business class in the search box. Examples: Austrian, Etihad, Air New Zealand, KLM, Virgin - I think American tried it.

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 2
2. Re: Aerlingus, auction for a Business Class seat...

I booked a November flight from Orlando to Paris via Dublin a few weeks ago and two days later got an email asking me if I want to 'bid' for an upgrade. The email said the lower the bid, the less the chance. However, the opening bid was about $450 for the TATL leg each way. While that's not too bad given my total fare was $928, it's still more than I'm willing to spend. $450 will pay for lots of good French wine and cheese. Of course, as it gets closer to my departure, I may revisit the idea recognizing that all the options may be taken.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
reviews: 74
3. Re: Aerlingus, auction for a Business Class seat...

That could be an option if the price is right for US bound flights.

I tested their Business Class seats on a European flight as they use the A330 on the early morning rotation to Malaga. You can book these as a premium seat for €60 to €80.

The seat were nice but I lack a point of reference as I always travel economy.

Romford, United...
reviews: 22
4. Re: Aerlingus, auction for a Business Class seat...

I understand it has already been trialled in the US at a base of approx $420 per seat, don't know how successful it has been but the biz class product is pretty good for long haul (I don't drink either) but even if your bid isn't accepted no complaints about the coach service

Edited: 12:08 pm, July 09, 2014
Warsaw, Warszawa...
5. Re: Aerlingus, auction for a Business Class seat...

Have read complaints on various sites including an AerLingus Facebook passenger site...this bidding is misleading at best..YOU WILL PAY YOUR ALREADY PAID FOR AMT. PLUS THE BID AMT. ...google this and see the complaints..I wrote Aerlingus BEFORE I bid..and got no answer and therefor did not bid..the use of English on the site is unclear and they must have seen the complaints by now and it is still a mess.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
6. Re: Aerlingus, auction for a Business Class seat...

Hi

To me it looked obvious, a sliding scale where you can make a bid and then if you are a successful bidder you get a business seat.

Jackie

Boston, MA
reviews: 80
7. Re: Aerlingus, auction for a Business Class seat...

I'm curious how many actually get these seats and how much they bid.

I think it's pretty self explanatory. You buy a cheap seat and then take a chance on paying for a better seat. If you win, you win. If you don't you sit where you originally selected. Nothing confusing about that.

But how much do you HAVE to bid to get that seat?!

Anyone have any luck yet?

Thanks

Joan

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
8. Re: Aerlingus, auction for a Business Class seat...

<Anyone have any luck yet?>

Have a look at Flyertalk - there were a few posts there.

Southport, Australia
reviews: 61
9. Re: Aerlingus, auction for a Business Class seat...

I recently bid the lowest amount $430 JFK to Dublin, I was told highly unlikely. It happened, just waiting to find if I am gong to get it on the return Dublin to JFK. Because I won't have time to use the lounge I am hoping I won't get it! But yes it works and is genuine.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 78
10. Re: Aerlingus, auction for a Business Class seat...

I actually took advantage of this last month. I bought a low cost economy flight round trip from US to DUB. I bid the lowest amount possible ($420) for my flight DUB--JFK. About 3 days prior to my flight, I received an email saying my bid had been accepted and I had been moved to Business Class. Great service, great food, great wine. Although, sitting in coach on Aer Lingus for a relatively "short" TATL flight isn't too bad.

Reply to: Aerlingus, auction for a Business Class seat...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted