We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pitfalls when booking BA flights with AA miles

Illinois
reviews: 16
Pitfalls when booking BA flights with AA miles

I'm looking at booking flights using American Airlines miles, but most of them seem to be on British Airways. I know you can't choose seats until 24h in advance on BA, but I wondered if there was anything else that could be a problem.

I assume if I booked a Business/First Award, I'd be in Club World and if I booked a First Award I'd be in First? Can you book a WT+ ticket with AA miles?

If flying out of LHR, are the taxes and fees the same if the flight is operated by BA as if it's operated by AA?

Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 89
1. Re: Pitfalls when booking BA flights with AA miles

I assume if I booked a Business/First Award, I'd be in Club World and if I booked a First Award I'd be in First?

------> Correct

Can you book a WT+ ticket with AA miles?

---------> Not unless things have changed in the very recent past , eg last couple of months.

If flying out of LHR, are the taxes and fees the same if the flight is operated by BA as if it's operated by AA?

--------> the taxes and fees are whatever would be applicable to BA, the main bugbear being BAs fuel surcharge, so you'd find an AA flight will be cheaper than a BA flight especially economy. Indeed you'll generally find it's not worth booking BA economy,

Re seats you can pay to reserve them more than 24 hours ahead . Quite pricey for club or first.

Illinois
reviews: 16
2. Re: Pitfalls when booking BA flights with AA miles

Thanks. I vaguely remembered that taxes were higher but couldn't remember if it was flying from LHR or flying BA.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 52
3. Re: Pitfalls when booking BA flights with AA miles

Quite pricey for club or first.

---------

You don't need to pay to pre-assign in First. Row 1 will be restricted to BA Golds/Premiers and oneworld Emeralds though.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: Pitfalls when booking BA flights with AA miles

Strange as this seems but if you fly DUB-LHR (biz class) and LHR-ORD (1st class-presume with Illinois tag your desired destination?) the overall carrier imposed taxes and charges are a fraction of the LHR-ORD costs and the base fare is much lower, must admit have no idea how much more/less/same it is booking with miles

London
reviews: 73
5. Re: Pitfalls when booking BA flights with AA miles

Interesting

DUB-ORD is 50000 Avios, plus £150

LHR-ORD is 40000 Avios, plus £360

I guess £130 of the difference is APD

(both CW, one way)

Edited: 2:06 pm, July 05, 2014
Romford, United...
6. Re: Pitfalls when booking BA flights with AA miles

I'm guessing no APD in Ireland applies to all classes whereas APD in the UK becomes more expensive as you go up in class, make it £190 using your reckoning?

Romford, United...
7. Re: Pitfalls when booking BA flights with AA miles

Sorry Intrepid £130 of the difference-my bad!!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Pitfalls when booking BA flights with AA miles

I think there are other Heathrow specific departure taxes/fees in addition to (UK Government) APD, which is a tax. I'm on mobile right now so can't check as to exactly what they are and whether (like APD) they apply only to originating LHR pax.

Reply to: Pitfalls when booking BA flights with AA miles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted