We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking food to Italy

Redruth
reviews: 59
Taking food to Italy

I want to take a Chinese meal over to Italy with me for my friends there who love Chinese food but can't get it where they live near Sorrento. I intend to wrap it well and put it in my hold luggage. Will there be any problems with this?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Santa Ponsa
reviews: 74
1. Re: Taking food to Italy

are you talking about a meal from a Chinese takeaway? Surely it won't be safe to eat after such a long time? And your clothes will stink even if you wrap it well.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Taking food to Italy

Only the normal ones associated with reheated cooked chinese food-don't you like them?

London, United...
3. Re: Taking food to Italy

Is that a joke post? What kind of Chinese meal are you going to take in your suitcase to Italy ? I assume it's not something that needs refrigeration, like last Nights takeaway,?

If it's something you are cooking yourself can't you just take the ingredients they can't get locally and cook it there?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Taking food to Italy

So you want to take salty, high MSG gloop to a country with some of the best cuisine in the world? Oh dear!!!!!!!

Redruth
reviews: 59
5. Re: Taking food to Italy

I am not asking for your opinions on what I may or may not be doing or taking - I don't need nor want anyone's opinion on that. I simply want to know if it is ok to take Chinese food in hold luggage to Italy...it is a yes/no answer...if you don't actually know then kindly keep your jib out...

UK
reviews: 87
6. Re: Taking food to Italy

I simply want to know if it is ok to take Chinese food in hold luggage to Italy.

=====

Its not, only Indian is allowed. Take the covers off some Indian ready made and slide that over the Chinese and you'll probably get away with it though, they rarely check.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Santa Ponsa
reviews: 74
7. Re: Taking food to Italy

You still haven't said what you mean by a Chinese meal. Is it from the takeaway? Do you want to give your friends food poisoning? Do you want to arrive with your clothes stinking?If so, then the answer is yes.

But you are posting on a public forum. You are going to get people's opinions whether you like it or not. This isn't google, it's Tripadvisor.

And being polite costs nothing.

Edited: 12:06 pm, July 04, 2014
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 664
8. Re: Taking food to Italy

if it is vacumn packed then it should be ok.you may have a problem if there are parts of animals not allowed into Italy.check with the Italian customs website to see what is and is not allowed

North Carolina
9. Re: Taking food to Italy

The smell alone would be enough to start a riot on the plane :)

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
10. Re: Taking food to Italy

If you are flying to Italy from another EU country, you can take whatever food you want for personal use, just make sure it doesn't move or crawl out. Baggage handlers may raise an alarm