We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I guess it was only a matter of time...

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 25
I guess it was only a matter of time...

We all knew we would have to pay for it eventually

dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2669484/Airli…

23 replies to this topic
London
reviews: 73
1. Re: I guess it was only a matter of time...

Don't Ryanair already do this?

uk
reviews: 15
2. Re: I guess it was only a matter of time...

Doesn't Ryan Air already put a surcharge on tickets to cover any pay outs under EU regs? Think it's £1 per ticket and with 80 million people travelling each year with them a nice little earner.

Deb

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
3. Re: I guess it was only a matter of time...

Ryanair do already have an EU261 levy but they introduced that not long after the ash cloud, and as far as I know it was done to cover duty of care expenses during delays, not actual compensation.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 8
4. Re: I guess it was only a matter of time...

>>Ryanair do already have an EU261 levy but they introduced that not long after the ash cloud, and as far as I know it was done to cover duty of care expenses during delays, not actual compensation.<<

As reported at the time by the Guardian, a Ryanair spokesman stated:

"While we regret the imposition of this €2 EU261 levy, the extraordinary costs which have been imposed on us by delays and cancellations under these discriminatory regulations must be recovered from passengers,"

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 159
5. Re: I guess it was only a matter of time...

Yes, the pax will always pay, at some point.

In the US, there is legislation to increase the TSA fee on each flight. IIRC, this will be per ticket, with one exception, if there is a layover of 4 hours, or more, the fee will be accessed again for the next flight. I took notice of this addition, as we normally build in longer layovers, where possible, to make connections more comfortable. I'd rather spend several hours in a lounge, than have to rush to my gate, if my arriving flight is delayed in any way. Guess that I will just buck up and be prepared to add a few $ to the price of my tickets.

Such is life.

We have already seen similar to the UK/EU price increase, where in certain cities, and states, the price of healthcare is added onto a restaurant bill, and the use of those funds is clearly stated.

Personally, I would fully expect any service provider, airline, restaurant, hotel, etc., to pass along increases in the cost of doing business. With airlines, for example, few are owned by the "state." They are businesses, and are in the business to make profits. If overhead increases, they just pass those increases on to the patrons. I am curious why some people seem surprised by this.

Hunt

reviews: 34
6. Re: I guess it was only a matter of time...

Its hardly news. Passengers are already paying. Its a simply a case of whether the airline be transparent like Ryanair, or hide it like other airlines. They are businesses, not charities and costs will be built into the price

London, United...
reviews: 23
7. Re: I guess it was only a matter of time...

Of course everyone will pay, I very much wouldn't put any stock in the DM number of 5 gbp though. Their source is obviously not credible if they don't want to name him or her. It's probably the reporter herself lol.

8. Re: I guess it was only a matter of time...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, June 26, 2014

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
9. Re: I guess it was only a matter of time...

Of course everyone will pay. Airlines are in business to make a profit. If they don't make a profit, they go out of business. If paying out compensation costs them money, they have to make up for it somehow. They try to cut down on delays as best they can, but they also increase fees where possible.

UK
reviews: 24
10. Re: I guess it was only a matter of time...

I think Ryanair are simply trying to make a point by levying a separate EU261/2004 surcharge (rather than absorbing the cost like other airlines do). Don't forget that this is the airline that levied a "wheelchair surcharge" on all tickets after it was told that it had to provide free assistance to disabled passengers (and I recall they were really jumping up and down and screaming "unfair" when they lost the court case brought against them by a disabled passenger who had been charged for special assistance)

Reply to: I guess it was only a matter of time...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted