We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bag drop off, T3 Manchester Airport

manchester
reviews: 42
Bag drop off, T3 Manchester Airport

Hi, we are due to travel soon with Ryanair T3 Manchester, we have no experience with the bag drop off procedure, it says on the website that this does not open until 2 hours before departure so as we are not sure if there is likely to be long queues at the drop off would arriving at the airport 3 hours before flight be enough time if there should be a long queue?

I know nobody can say whether there will be long queues on the day but we just wondered if any frequent flyers from T3 have experienced long queues.

Thanks for any help offered.

9 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: Bag drop off, T3 Manchester Airport

Obviously a lot will depend on how many passengers are taking checked bags or cabin bags only but arriving 3 hours beforehand will be plenty of time - in fact you are probably going to stand around waiting for bag drop to open, if you are worried about the queues you could even get there 2 hours 30 minutes beforehand and still have plenty of time.

Loughborough...
reviews: 20
2. Re: Bag drop off, T3 Manchester Airport

I've no experience with Ryanair bag drops at Manchester, but I have at some of their other UK base airports.

If you are flying first thing in the morning then the drop opens at a fixed time, probably 2 hours before the first flight. After that, because all the bag drop desks deal with all the flights, and they have a single queuing system controlled by barriers, you just join the end of the queue and move forward.

The bag drops don't close until the cut-off time for the last flight of the day. I've never had a problem dropping bags off earlier than the official 2 hours before departure (though never tried more than 3 hours). You must reach the head of the queue and hand your bags over no less than 40 minutes before departure.

If the queue is very long staff may ask people what their flight time is and pull them to the front so they don't miss flights.

Perhaps if you indicated what time of day and day of the week you are flying, someone who knows Manchester better may be able to help more.

manchester
3. Re: Bag drop off, T3 Manchester Airport

Thanks Tom and Andy, flight is on a Sunday at 7.20 am.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
4. Re: Bag drop off, T3 Manchester Airport

"flight is on a Sunday at 7.20 am." - That must be one of the first flights of the day, you don't need to be there at 4.20 am unless you are happy to stand around waiting, I'd certainly be content to be there at 5.20 am.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
5. Re: Bag drop off, T3 Manchester Airport

I honestly can't see the bag drop being busy at that time on a Sunday morning. I agree with Tom. I'd be getting there 2 hours prior.

manchester
6. Re: Bag drop off, T3 Manchester Airport

Thanks Tom and Leyland for your helpful advice, can I just ask is drop off similar to the check in desk procedure in that they weigh your cases, put a barcode on cases etc. Once again many thanks.

Loughborough...
7. Re: Bag drop off, T3 Manchester Airport

Yes, exactly the same baggage procedure, often exactly the same design of desk.

manchester
8. Re: Bag drop off, T3 Manchester Airport

Thanks Andy, so for us then the only difference is we had to check in online and print boarding passes, can't see the point unless of course it saves them from employing more staff.

Loughborough...
9. Re: Bag drop off, T3 Manchester Airport

For you, there's very little difference. For the large number of Ryanair passengers who travel with hand baggage only there's a big time saving as they go straight to security without queuing up for bag drop or check-in desks first.

Ryanair are able to rent fewer desks from the airport, and pay the local handling agent for fewer staff. They'd say they pass the saving on in cheaper fares, but then they would say that, wouldn't they!

Reply to: Bag drop off, T3 Manchester Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted