We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair getting even 'softer'?

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
Ryanair getting even 'softer'?

Ryanair is to launch a family-friendly product tomorrow.

www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php…

15 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: Ryanair getting even 'softer'?

Here was me thinking the words Ryanair and friendly in the same sentence was an oxymoron - lets see what they announce before getting excited.

Their new check in arrangements was supposed to be more customer friendly but rightly or wrongly many are unhappy with it.

UK
reviews: 89
2. Re: Ryanair getting even 'softer'?

"Discounted seating for families"

Will that shut up all those "when you've got a family of 19 even a fiver soon adds up" posters? I would guess not.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
3. Re: Ryanair getting even 'softer'?

It seems that these days most people are unhappy about things that don't fit in with exactly what they want. No matter what any airline does, there's always going to be people unhappy with them.

Travelling The World
reviews: 26
4. Re: Ryanair getting even 'softer'?

"most people are unhappy about things that don't fit in with exactly what they want"

And the irony is that airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet and the others that have pioneered menu pricing have made it even easier to get exactly what you want. Don't want a checked bag? Then you don't have to pay for it with a higher fare that includes a "free" checked bag. Don't want airline food? Ditto.

Liverpool, UK
5. Re: Ryanair getting even 'softer'?

"And the irony is that airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet and the others that have pioneered menu pricing have made it even easier to get exactly what you want."

They have not only made it easier to get what you want but in my view have made air travel far more accessible to those on a limited budget - before the LCCs entered the market some of those complaining about them would probably have never been able to afford to fly.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
6. Re: Ryanair getting even 'softer'?

Hi

Personally I prefer the old Ryanair who charged a goodly amount of money for any extras, the cheaper the baseline fare is the happier I am.

I only need hand luggage, I don't care where I sit, I prefer my own sandwiches and I have no kids, well I do but they are 29 and 32.

Jackie

Travelling The World
7. Re: Ryanair getting even 'softer'?

" the cheaper the baseline fare is the happier I am."

Unfortunately those low fares used to come with many unavoidable or difficult to avoid extras. For example, I don't think many people who used Ryanair once a year would bother to apply for a Ryanair M/C and so had to pay booking fees.

And the extras still aren't cheap. Luggage for example is much cheaper on Easyjet. So is seat selection.

I am happier for them to charge realistic fares and make the extras truly optional. Last week I spent a total of almost 5 hours on Ryanair planes for a total of £50. (It would have been £40 but I chose to select my own seats.) I consider that incredible value for money, even if the base fares used to be a few pounds less.

Edited: 11:53 am, June 16, 2014
Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Ryanair getting even 'softer'?

I always had the correct card for no extra charges ;-))

Jackie

Travelling The World
9. Re: Ryanair getting even 'softer'?

"I always had the correct card for no extra charges "

So have I but that's because we have always flown FR at least several times a year so worth going through that particular hoop.

For most people who might fly them once in a blue moon the card charges really weren't optional. FR new that most people wouldn't bother but it was still "optional" as there was that alternative. At least that sharp practice has been outlawed.

There are a lot fewer hoops these days which I think is to be welcomed.

Edited: 12:00 pm, June 16, 2014
London, United...
10. Re: Ryanair getting even 'softer'?

>>Will that shut up all those "when you've got a family of 19 even a fiver soon adds up" posters? I would guess not.<<

Nope, there is always going to be someone who thinks its secretly a full service carrier and everything should be inc in the base fare.

Reply to: Ryanair getting even 'softer'?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted