We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic - Never flown with them, some questions

Goteed1
reviews: 116
Virgin Atlantic - Never flown with them, some questions

I'm considering a flight from San Francisco to Johannesburg on VA and have never flown with them before. I tried to call them a couple of times to get some questions answered but have been placed on eternal hold, so I'm hoping that some veterans here can help out.

I'm interested in booking economy, but I see that they offer a seat plus option in economy (not the PE product) I know this costs a few extra bucks, but I don't see anyplace in the booking process to pay for these seats, also I could not see a current seat map showing the availability. Am I doing something wrong or is this done another way?

There is a plane change on the way over to JNB at LHR with a 8.5 hour layover, can I asume my bags are checked all the way through?

On the way back there is a 2hour layover, this sounds tight to me at LHR, but can I assume this is okay?

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
London, UK
reviews: 128
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Never flown with them, some questions

I don't think you can book Seat Plus online - you have to call Virgin and get them to add it to an existing booking. Of course it's subject to availability so if it's a deal breaker, I'd just persist on hold and try to book the flight and the seat plus together in one transaction. I'm fairly sure it also precludes you from doing online check-in - you have to check-in the old fashioned way at the airport and have your seats allocated then, so you will lose some control over exactly where your seats are. Bear that in mind if you're fussy about such things. Personally, I'd book extra legroom rather than seat plus as I'm always more cramped in terms of legroom than elbow room on economy flights, but that's up to you. You can't have both as far as I know.

I would prefer a bit longer than 2 hours on the way back as it doesn't give you much wriggle room if your incoming flight is delayed, but given your route I doubt a longer layover is possible. Just ensure that both flights are on the same ticket as that means the risk is Virgin's if the incoming flight is late and you miss the connection. They will have to rebook you on the next available flight, and have duty of care during your layover, including putting you up in a hotel if it involves an overnight stay. Your luggage will be checked all the way through to San Francisco so you just follow the signs for flight connections.

Goteed1
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Never flown with them, some questions

Thanks UKLIzzie,

I just realized I meant Extra Legroom NOT seat plus, so would I still have to call up to get the Extra Legroom option?

London
reviews: 74
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Never flown with them, some questions

What flights are you looking at on the way back?

As far as I can see, the only option is VS602, which arrives LHR at 0635, and then VS19 that departs at 1300. Sounds like plenty of time!

Does you return flight involve a DL connection/code share?

London, UK
reviews: 128
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Never flown with them, some questions

Yes, I believe you still have to call to book the extra legroom seats. And those definitely prevent you from picking a seat in advance. There are several rows of extra legroom seats, but they are only allocated at check-in. Nevertheless they're well worth the extra money unless you're tiny.

Goteed1
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Never flown with them, some questions

"As far as I can see, the only option is VS602, which arrives LHR at 0635, and then VS19 that departs at 1300. Sounds like plenty of time!"

I'll be returning from Capetown, not JNB, for the return leg on VS 604, the schedule for that flight shows a 1:50 layover.

Thanks

Windsor
reviews: 5
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Never flown with them, some questions

With regards to the extra leg room, you will need to call and book it, or if there is space available on the plane you can pay £30 each sectors for the upgrade.

That should be enough time, just notify ground staff when you disembark and they will take you through, Virgin will be very aware that there will be connecting passengers on the plane and will do there best to get you on the connecting flight, therefore 1hr 50 should be enough.

Reply to: Virgin Atlantic - Never flown with them, some questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted