We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking through Amex travel?

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 6
Booking through Amex travel?

I've seen all the warnings here about third-party ticket sellers but I'm wondering if the American Express is also problematic. I've done a search and don't see that mentioned here.

18 replies to this topic
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

No idea but presumably you have priced up your journey direct with the airline versus Amex Travel. What were the differences in cost and terms and conditions?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
2. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

I agree with Post #1 - but I was able to find several posts about AMEX Travel on local forum boards. To search them out and read them, type "amex travel" or "american express travel" (use quotes) into the search box in the upper right corner of the page.

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 6
3. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

Trip is an open jaw: Washington DC to Athens and then returning to DC from Istanbul.

United's web site show $1065. Amex says $839 and shows United flights for three of the legs and Aegean Air for one.

Because they are the Economy fares I think the rules on both are pretty inflexible.

Intuitively, I would say this is better than the standard 3rd party booking because American Express is pretty good about standing behind their comittments. But then, I want the lower fare!

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
4. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

I book through AmEx travel regularly and have never had a problem. That said, I've never had to talk to them about flight/ schedule changes etc. so not sure how they measure up on that front.

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
5. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

Rachel

I haven't booked tickets with AMEX because I want to deal with potential problems directly with airlines. But that said, I agree that Amex is the best there is out there in terms of customer service. If there is a good enough price difference I would probably use them.

Interesting price difference though. AMEX tends to give you more expensive class of tickets.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
6. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

Does the Amex rate including taxes, fuel surcharges etc.?

I've booked many things through Amex travel, specifically for their Fine Hotels and Resorts scheme and have no problems. Never needed to book a flight through them.

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 14
7. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

I used Amex a lot for last minute travel arrangement (e.g over weekend). That was before the Internet became big.

Back in those days Amex offered a great service - but not cheap. I always liked their customer service even for changes etc.

But since the internet is everywhere and you can easily book with an airline directly, I have never used them again. Just do not understand the competitive advantage.

Having said that, I cannot judge how their service is today.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 187
8. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

I have not used AMEX Travel in many years, but have used the Platinum AMEX Concierge for many travel-related bookings - hotels, restaurants, limos, private tours, etc., and with but two minor glitches, have had a very good experience. My wife swears by them, especially for last minute, high-end restaurant reservations.

Best that I can offer - good luck,

Hunt

Edited: 12:45 pm, June 11, 2014
Paris, France
reviews: 13
9. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

I see no reason to use them, especially for the price difference.

I ran across a similar situation last year when booking an open-jaw ticket into Barcelona and home from Paris. Using either Air France or Delta I couldn't find the fare quoted, but was able to book it through Travelocity - saving about $200.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
10. Re: Booking through Amex travel?

Friend regularly uses Am Ex travel without problems. Not sure if you get better service if you have an Am Ex card.

Reply to: Booking through Amex travel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted