We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Online check in no quicker than before

aylesbury,england
reviews: 10
Online check in no quicker than before

So we printed off our boarding passes and checked in online as advised,On arrival at the airport we still had to queue to hand over our cases and show passports like before.All the new system achieves in my opinion is to save the airport printing out your boarding cards,you simply do it yourself at home!

And on our return from Lanzarote,they still gave us boarding cards even though we had printed them off ready at home?

Cue the sarky comments....

20 replies to this topic
London
reviews: 24
1. Re: Online check in no quicker than before

Thomas Cook still issued a boarding card, last month. Apparently the reason being that boarding passes printed at home are sometimes problematic with the automated reader.

Lake Crystal...
reviews: 13
2. Re: Online check in no quicker than before

Not sure about the UK, but for me the advantages of online check-in include the airline knowing I intend to fly - so I am more confident of getting the seat I want - and not having to go to a kiosk and print a boarding pass. It does not mean I get to go to the front of the line with check-in luggage or skip passport control. Some airlines prefer their own boarding passes. "Airports" do not print boarding passes, though. Airlines, government, and airports are normally three different entities.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Online check in no quicker than before

No sarky comments as this post doesn't invite any. Yes, there can be big queues at bag drop. I find that the earlier I arrive the less the queue tends to be.

UK
reviews: 89
4. Re: Online check in no quicker than before

OLCI is quicker in some circumstances if you are hand luggage only.

In most other cases, it seems to me that OLCI is there to reduce staffing numbers and nothing to do with speeding up the time at the airport, it's no different to self service checkouts at supermarkets, each checkin person can handle more customers than before. This may reduce prices.

UK
reviews: 27
5. Re: Online check in no quicker than before

As an earlier poster said it also guarantees you're on the flight as most airlines always overbook each flight due to no-shows

Hants, UK
reviews: 17
6. Re: Online check in no quicker than before

And you can choose you seats.

Edinburgh, United...
7. Re: Online check in no quicker than before

"All the new system achieves in my opinion is to save the airport printing out your boarding cards,you simply do it yourself at home!"

Not everyone has to drop off bags. I'm saving 30min+ most time I fly because I don't have to queue for airport check-in. That said there is surely an element of cost saving from the airline's perspective but there's nothing wrong with that that I can see.

Edited: 1:38 am, June 02, 2014
Perth, Australia
8. Re: Online check in no quicker than before

We've found Singapore Airlines usually have dedicated counters for those who have already checked in online, for bag drop-off etc - we always find those queues are MUCH shorter than the regular check-in queue, so it seems a lot of people still don't use OLCI.

Loughborough...
reviews: 20
9. Re: Online check in no quicker than before

I have the feeling that the OP is talking about airlines that are part of package tour companies. After all most other airlines started using OLCI years ago and on some it is now compulsory (Ryanair for example).

On a flight where most of the passengers are on a one or two week beach holiday the number of people with only hand baggage is low, and probably the travellers aren't frequent air passengers either.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
10. Re: Online check in no quicker than before

The good thing about it is that you can pick your seats so that you all sit together in a row. Great!

Reply to: Online check in no quicker than before
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted