We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 months left on passport

Stoke-on-Trent...
reviews: 1
5 months left on passport

can I fly to Jamaica from the uk with only five months left on my passport ? I'm flying on Friday and just seen a requirement that you have to have six months on your passport...

39 replies to this topic
Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
1. Re: 5 months left on passport

Hi

You will probably refused boarding and if you do manage to fly there then you may be turned round and sent back to the UK and the airline heavily fined.

So you need to get a new passport pronto.

Jackie

United Kingdom
reviews: 10
2. Re: 5 months left on passport

I think it will depend on when you are intending on flying back i.e will need to be within 5 months. You should check this with an official source i.e The Jamaican High Commission in London or perhaps the airline you are flying with.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
3. Re: 5 months left on passport

Five months is less than six months. It doesn't meet the stated requirement of a >>Valid passport (with at least six months validity);<<

You'll need to get your skates on to get a new passport in a hurry. The airlines shouldn't even let you board your flight.

United Kingdom
reviews: 10
4. Re: 5 months left on passport

If you do need to get a new passport asap you can visit the passport office in different cities in person and get one on the same day I understand. You need to book an appointment. Check out https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently and look at premium 1 day service. There is probably a fee to this.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
5. Re: 5 months left on passport

You need to get a new passport. The airline shouldn't even allow you to board. Premium same day service costs £128 for a standard adult 32 page passport.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
6. Re: 5 months left on passport

Hi

A one day passport renewal is expensive but not as expensive as a normal renewal and rebooking flights.

Jackie

Sefton
reviews: 8
7. Re: 5 months left on passport

There is certainly a fee for this but it will be far cheaper than losing your flight and probably your holiday as I'm sure your insurance won't cover it if you ae refused boarding.

UK
reviews: 26
8. Re: 5 months left on passport

Have ANY of you actually checked your facts?

Quite clearly not...

Here are the rules, from the authoritative source (Timatic):

=========================

National United Kingdom (GB)

Embarkation United Kingdom (GB)/Destination Jamaica (JM)

Jamaica (JM)

Passport required.

- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

for the period of intended stay.

Visa required, except for Holders of British passports.

=========================

So, Anne - ignore everything that's been said. People are just making things up as they go along. Timatic is the authoritative database of passport and visa requirements (the one that all airlines and travel agents use), and there are various free online links to it - just google "Timatic", or use the link I have just used which is

staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
9. Re: 5 months left on passport

The Jamaican High Commission is where I got my info from

http://www.jhcuk.org/visitors/

UK
reviews: 26
10. Re: 5 months left on passport

You clearly misread/misinterpreted the information.

People who need a visa need six months' validity. People who don't need a visa don't. British citizens don't need a visa, so the six months validity does not apply.

Reply to: 5 months left on passport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted