We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada Rouge Flights in Europen Routes

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 12
Air Canada Rouge Flights in Europen Routes

I am taking a trip to Rome next month, and it contains return flights on Air Canada Rouge between Montreal and Rome. The route offers Premium Rouge class on 767-300, and that is what I have booked my seats in.

I have been reading the reviews on AC Rouge (overwhelmingly negative) in various websites, but most of them appears to be regarding North America & Caribbean routes, and there are very few reviews on European routes. I believe AC Rouge has regular flights to some of European cities like Athens and Venice (I think they also started the service to Dublin recently), and I am wondering if someone could share the experience on AC Rouge in European routes, particularly on Premium Rouge.

13 replies to this topic
Sudbury, Canada
reviews: 5
1. Re: Air Canada Rouge Flights in Europen Routes

I am not positive but I think the service would be the same as NA and Caribbean routes. The planes, staff etc are the same. They use both 319 and 767-300 for the Caribbean.

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 33
2. Re: Air Canada Rouge Flights in Europen Routes

I agree with NC. can you cancel? I think Air Transar goes there, and their Club Class I would be superior to Rouge. Also lots of other airlines like Alitalia.

Travelling The World
reviews: 29
3. Re: Air Canada Rouge Flights in Europen Routes

The main difference is that you get meals included and the 767s they use are being fitted with at-seat power so you can use your own tablet or laptop for IFE without worrying about running out of power. Whether that will have been done on the particular aircraft you fly is uncertain. I don't know when the retrofitting will be complete.

The Premium service is slightly better in that there are better seats, six abreast, as opposed to regular seats with the middle seat blocked. Pitch is 35inches same as the North American routes,

Sudbury, Canada
reviews: 5
4. Re: Air Canada Rouge Flights in Europen Routes

Douglas I was told by rouge on their facebook page before they deleted all the comments and complaints that the pitch in premium on a 767 and 319 would be 37". but the Air Canada site said 35". When I asked for clarification on the 767 pitch they kept answering me about the 319. Finally they told me to stop asking... lol... I guess they didn't really know...

Viaggiatrice, if you have booked knowing it was rouge they will probably not let you cancel (unless it is within 24 hours). Too bad because I would certainly not fly rouge again although I was on a 319 inn Plus. You could always try quoting all the bad publicity regarding rouge and Air Canada.

Nanaimo, Canada
5. Re: Air Canada Rouge Flights in Europen Routes

Thank you all for replying to my inquiry so quickly.

I was told by AC Rouge that 767-300 is used mainly in European routes. Also, I have been checking my flights’ status frequently, and it still shows that the aircrafts for the YUL-FCO flights I will take are 767-300. So, I am quite sure that it is the aircraft that I will be on (unless, of course, there is the last minute change).

So far, I found the following information useful:

http://www.uhlmann.ca/ac1906/ (the review by someone who actually flew in Premium Rouge on European flights - it is a little old as it was posted almost a year ago)

flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1562… (Detailed information posted by AC representative)

According to the information posted by AC rep, the pitch in Premium Rouge on 767-300 is 37’. The figure is the same with the one I saw on SeatGuru (although I find it interesting that the information on the aircraft at AC site does not show the actual pitches).

What I am interested to hear is the experience of someone who actually flew on AC Rouge in its European routes. My departure date is getting close so that I have no plan to cancel my flights on AC Rouge, but I would like to know what I should expect so that there will not be a big surprised.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 35
6. Re: Air Canada Rouge Flights in Europen Routes

Viaggiatrice, you don't have to worry about ACr substituting an A319 for your trip. YUL-FCO is a bit beyond the range of the A319. As far as I'm aware, the only route across the Atlantic where AC uses a small aircraft like the A320 is St. John's to London. You will be on a 767. If a mechanical problem makes your planned aircraft unavailable, the worst case scenario is they find another 767 or swap in a regular mainline aircraft, or delay the flight.

The premium rouge seating on the 767 should be OK, and better than economy on even mainline flights. It's basically the same domestic business class seats in groups of 2 that were used on mainline routes. Not international business class pods, but they're also priced a lot cheaper than business class.

Nanaimo, Canada
7. Re: Air Canada Rouge Flights in Europen Routes

Thank you, DCH, for the comments. Now, I feel more optimistic about the upcoming flight to Rome. I will report back to this forum on my experience when I return from the trip.

winnipeg
reviews: 2
8. Re: Air Canada Rouge Flights in Europen Routes

Please advise as to your premium rouge flight to Rome. We are booked on premium rouge row 2AB GOING AND 1AB RETURNING. Flying Toronto to Lisbon. Please let me know your thoughts. We realize not regular business class, but 2007 on Club class Air Transat had no footrest!! Premium rouge has foot rests.

Thanks

Winnipeg

Nanaimo, Canada
9. Re: Air Canada Rouge Flights in Europen Routes

I apologise for the delay of my review on the premium economy I took this summer. We sat row 2 on both ways between Montreal to Rome, and the following comments are based on that.

Overall, both my husband and I enjoyed the premium economy on Rouge. The aircrafts used in both flights we took were the ones that were yet to be retrofitted, and so the seats were quite old. Because of that, adjusting things like the foot rest and reclining was a little difficult. Also, my husband, who sat on the window side, found that the space between the seat in front of him and the wall was very dirty with litter.

However, the rest of the experience was quite pleasant. The leg space was so spacious that I felt still comfortable even if the seat in front of me was fully reclined. Each seat had an amenity pack in a small pouch, which contained long socks, ear plugs, eye mask, and toothbrush & toothpaste. In the case of the return flight from Rome, there was also a small package of lip balm, hand cream, and cleaning cloth. The seat itself was also comfortable with a good lumbar support, but we did not like the extra large pillow provided, which we found too large to use it comfortably.

The meals were much better quality than the ones served in the regular economy, which are often barely edible.

I know that a lot of people are complaining about the new inflight entertainment system, but we found it fine. All the premium economy passengers can borrow full-size iPads with Air Canada app for free of charge. Although there was no power ports at the seats due to the old aircrafts, the battery lasted fine for 9 hour flight to Rome. I initially had a problem to run the app on the iPad I borrowed on the way to Rome, but the flight attendant quickly fixed it and had no problem after that. The back of the seat in front of you has a place where you can hang the iPad to watch movies and, as long as the person in front of you does not recline the seat back fully, it would be the easiest way to watch the movies. The selection of the movies was sufficient for us, particularly with a good selection of foreign movies that we always enjoy.

The flight attendants were all young, and I could see that they were not very experienced. However, I could also see that they were very enthusiastic about their work, and we received a good service on both ways.

I can understand that people who booked into the business class and re-assigned to the premium rouge got upset, as the latter is not the equivalent to the former. Nevertheless, it was much more enjoyable flight experience than the regular economy class on the mainline Air Canada, and I would book the premium economy on Rogue again if the option is available in the future.

Edited: 11:23 am, August 17, 2014
winnipeg
reviews: 2
10. Re: Air Canada Rouge Flights in Europen Routes

Thank you so much. Very helpful review. It is what I imagined and most complaints would be in comparing to regular business class, and what you have reported is what we would expect. Big difference in price for these seats and regular business class, but a lovely option. We fly business often but only on aeroplan points and we really appreciate this option when not enough points yet for our next "fUll fledged " business class ticket, lol.

Thanks for taking the time. Not any 'relevant' reviews in premium rouge class except the Ulman one with pictures which is older review but good as well.

Edited: 2:55 pm, August 17, 2014
Reply to: Air Canada Rouge Flights in Europen Routes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted