We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying family of six from Detroit to Maui - any saving tips?

Warren, Michigan
Flying family of six from Detroit to Maui - any saving tips?

Some days I still think I'm crazy for planning this trip....we could pay for a full set of braces (and more) with the airfare alone! But we are looking at going June 2015. So obviously very far out, but with such a big trip planned and condo deposit already down, I don't want to wait too much farther out from when they open up.

Husband and I have the USAIRWAYS credit card with about 50K miles on each, but I learned it will most likely take about 90K miles just for one round trip flight - so those cards were a bust. The stewardess on the plane said we could get rounds trip to Hawaii for 40K miles....it's almost impossible from the looking I've done in the website.

Any and all advice welcome! With four kids I really don't want an Alaska Air flight with 24 hour travel time, or more than one stop. If I could get them for around $800 each I'd be happy....but even looking at current pricing that's rare. :( help!

5 replies to this topic
Plover, Wisconsin
reviews: 10
1. Re: Flying family of six from Detroit to Maui - any saving tips?

We booked for our recent February maui trip third year in a row flying from chicago to maui, using united airlines. We booked for 9 of us and I looked everyday once the flights came out (330 days ahead of return flight). Most flights were like you say a 16-20 hour duration with layovers. We booked with united airlines for $1100 pp, that was from CWA to OGG. So that was CWA ( central Wisconsin) to ORD (ohare) to SFO to OGG. It was a 14 hour day but went smooth. One thing I did was when searching for flights I searched as one group of 9 but also as separate groups 5 and 4. We ended up making two separate reservations as it was cheaper than booking as one group.

kentucky
reviews: 37
2. Re: Flying family of six from Detroit to Maui - any saving tips?

Wait until you see the prices at the grocery store!

Warren, Michigan
3. Re: Flying family of six from Detroit to Maui - any saving tips?

Thanks that's helpful! I'm well aware of the grocery store prices:)

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
4. Re: Flying family of six from Detroit to Maui - any saving tips?

Since you've got so much time, what you can do is watch prices for a while to see what they normally are and then when you see a sale, advertised or not, jump immediately. Sign up for the airlines twitter feeds and email newsletters so they'll notify you of sales. Use airfarewatchdog.com. You can set up a fare alert for your route and they'll tell you when they see a good fare. You don't have to buy the minute the fares come out if they are way beyond your price range.

Warren, Michigan
5. Re: Flying family of six from Detroit to Maui - any saving tips?

Bump

Reply to: Flying family of six from Detroit to Maui - any saving tips?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted