We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking in car fridge on air plane

Adelaide, Australia
Checking in car fridge on air plane

I have an up coming trip from Australia to America for 28 days. The majority of this time will be on the road in a rental car. In a bid to cut down on costs and junk food, we are planning to take a 12v car fridge as check on baggage. We have a limit of 10 bags for our family and the fridge meets the baggage size and weight requirements so we will not be out of pocket for checking it in.

My question is, has anyone taken a car fridge similar to this portablefridgesonline.com.au/portable-fridge… on a plane?

Were there any issues in checking it in?

We are flying with Virgin Australia and they were not very helpful in giving an answer over the phone. I would prefer not to take an esky due to the issues with replacing ice twice a day.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Checking in car fridge on air plane

Should be OK in terms of allowability however do you really want to be checking an item worth the best part of $1k in your checked luggage? Also checked luggage gets battered around massively....Do you really want to risk breakage?

uk
reviews: 21
2. Re: Checking in car fridge on air plane

I would be worried that it would be stolen and or damaged!

Why don't you look into buying one in USA?

Deb

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 22
3. Re: Checking in car fridge on air plane

I agre with the above - surely it woudl be easier and possbily cheaper just to buy one when you get there.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 50
4. Re: Checking in car fridge on air plane

I'd be more worried about theft than breakage.

Why not take (or buy when you get there) a cheap Esky and buy some cooler bricks that you can freeze overnight. They will keep your food and drinks cool for a whole day.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 22
5. Re: Checking in car fridge on air plane

emel49 - problem with that - where to freeze them. Most hotels I've stayed in, the freezers can hardly hold a small tray of ice - if they even have a freezer

Brisbane, Australia
6. Re: Checking in car fridge on air plane

' The majority of this time will be on the road in a rental car'

'.........have a limit of 10 bags for our family'

Fridge or no fridge, I'm wondering where you are going to put all that luggage!!

London, United...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Checking in car fridge on air plane

I'd be worried about it being nicked too, or even damaged. That's a seriously expensive fridge, compared to the price of a full size one.

Adelaide, Australia
8. Re: Checking in car fridge on air plane

Thanks for your replies.

Yes these things are expensive - we paid $600 for ours 2nd hand, it is not something would consider buying again for a one off trip. We have a maximum limit of 10 bags, I don't think we will take 10 bags.

Obviously I will wrap the fridge and we have travel insurance just in case.

My question is whether anyone has been able to take these types of fridges onto air-crafts.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
9. Re: Checking in car fridge on air plane

As I said I don't think there will be any issues regarding allowability as long as it meets size / weight regulations.

I would seriously have a look at your travel insurance policy to see whether it covers the loss of expensive items packed in checked luggage before you rely on your insurance as a back up.

Colchester, United...
10. Re: Checking in car fridge on air plane

Does it use any sort of gas as a coolant? Could be worth checking as you do not want to get to the airport and they say not allowed due to the cooling agent.