We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roundtrip ticket to one-way--change flight or no-show?

San Francisco...
Roundtrip ticket to one-way--change flight or no-show?

Because I'm traveling with other people, I needed to book all of our tickets together as roundtrip--when I tried buying my own one-way ticket, I didn't have the option to choose the same airline let alone the same itinerary (even on United.com). I alone be staying in the country for work, and won't be coming back until at least a year later.

I didn't pay for flight insurance, so my ticket is "non-refundable". I read that with all the various fees United tacks on ($400+ for changing the flight, + substantial difference in remaining value), and the fact that I can't anticipate a specific return date, it might be better for me to just keep quiet and no-show my return flight.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? If so, what would you recommend I do? I would love it if I could convert whatever the return ticket was worth (minus whatever fees for changing the flight) into airline credit--that way, I could at least salvage maybe a hundred bucks or something (flight was $1600). But something tells me no airline would do this. Anyway, I'm afraid that if I call and give them advance noticed about my no-show return flight, they might void my entire itinerary or something..

25 replies to this topic
Nuremberg, Germany
1. Re: Roundtrip ticket to one-way--change flight or no-show?

Check the price of a one way ticket and if it costs more than your retuen ticket keep quiet and hope that United will not charge you the diffrence.

Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 150
2. Re: Roundtrip ticket to one-way--change flight or no-show?

Just no show the return.

San Francisco...
3. Re: Roundtrip ticket to one-way--change flight or no-show?

Oh wow, United could charge me for not showing, even if I don't say anything?? Is this a pretty common phenomenon? What a nightmare :/. I managed to find the same itinerary coming there, and indeed it is $200 more than the roundtrip flight.

So basically there's nothing I can do that wouldn't get me in trouble, and my only option is to no-show and pray they don't charge me the difference, + whatever other fees they decide to tack on?

London, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: Roundtrip ticket to one-way--change flight or no-show?

There has never been a case of someone missing their flight and the airline charging them, although technically they can do it. People miss their flights every single day, many many people.

Don't stress, don't phone them, just don't turn up for the return leg. It's not a big deal.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 69
5. Re: Roundtrip ticket to one-way--change flight or no-show?

If the OP phoned up on day of flight and said she had been taken ill and couldn't make the flight, if the ticket was No Change, Non-refundable, wouldn't airline just say sorry and treat her as an "accepted" no show?

London, United...
reviews: 23
6. Re: Roundtrip ticket to one-way--change flight or no-show?

Possibly,, but she could have to get a doctors note to say she was too ill to travel. Who knows. Best to just miss as it's a one off.

UK
reviews: 88
7. Re: Roundtrip ticket to one-way--change flight or no-show?

There's no point telling them. On every flight there will be several no shows.

And absolutely do not call them before the outbound flight because they very much might charge you more.

However I am mystified by you saying you couldn't find the same itinerary booked as a single. Were you actually looking on the airlines website or booking through a third party?

Also you say "I didn't pay for flight insurance, so my ticket is "non-refundable". - so, I'm mystified again, because whether or not you pay for flight insurance has nothing to do with a ticket being non refundable.

Nuremberg, Germany
8. Re: Roundtrip ticket to one-way--change flight or no-show?

@Arandora

That depends on the law of the country where the ticket was purchased. E.g. in Austria airlines can't charge you if you are indeed ill, in Germany airlines could do so.

But another question is if airlines indeed will inforce their General Terms and Conditions, in particular if you call in sick prior to departure.

Chiang Khong...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Roundtrip ticket to one-way--change flight or no-show?

Hi

I did the same thing for work I knew i wasn't going to be returning until much later

even if it says non refundable there still may be some value in the remainder of the ticket

after you have flown the first leg and before the last leg is due call the airline and tell them

you will not be able to use the last leg and will be flying much later and see if there is any value

do not just not show up be consederate and call them "but after you fly not before"

usually the only value is on same airline same flight and a credit towards that flight at the going rate.

Nuremberg, Germany
10. Re: Roundtrip ticket to one-way--change flight or no-show?

@sawadeeka

Are you aware of the so called "Throw away Ticketing" rules??

Reply to: Roundtrip ticket to one-way--change flight or no-show?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted