We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Mzuzu in Malawi

NomadicForever
reviews: 13
Flying to Mzuzu in Malawi

Since the demise of Air Malawi the option was to fly from Daressalam.

There were rumours that Ethiopian will take over Air Malawi. I cant find any info. Is anybody out there who has uptodate info?

My preference is to fly from JNB via Lilongwe to Mzuzu.

5 replies to this topic
NomadicForever
1. Re: Flying to Mzuzu in Malawi

No Africa experts around?

Worldwide
reviews: 536
2. Re: Flying to Mzuzu in Malawi

I'm certainly not an expert on southeastern African travel (though I occasionally post on some West African forums based on living/working there in past years..). But, perhaps, the following draft notes might inspire someone to correct them with best-available current info?

Here is the link to the Wikipedia article on Mzuzu airport:

http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Mzuzu

The Wikipedia article on an airport is *often* an excellent (if imperfect) writeup - including usually excellent (if sometimes imperfect) info on servicing airlines and routes. That section is blank here. Not a perfect indicator, but perhaps useful, that there may be no current air service. Some more context may be had from the Wikivoyage article on Malawi - though some info seems out of date (and the Wikipedia article on transport in Malawi seems even more out of date..):

http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Malawi

Here is the link to the Wikivoyage article on Mzuzu:

http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Mzuzu

Looks like the bus is the current "winner" for reaching the city.

The thread below also suggests road transport being the main option:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g479210-i17853-k56…

If you really want to fly...(?):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g667246-i28224-k62…

The link in that thread reaches an air taxi.

Here are the Wikipedia and Facebook pages on Malawian Airlines - the successor to Air Malawi. Will they be successful, and start service to Mzuzu in time for your travel there? Maybe you could send them encouragement via their Facebook page?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malawian_Airlines

https://www.facebook.com/malawianairlines

Here are a few links to news coverage on Malawi air transport. Comments at the bottom of the first two links may be worth scanning..

nyasatimes.com/2014/…

nyasatimes.com/2014/…

theafricanaviationtribune.com/search/…Malawi

Lastly, the Wikipedia articles on Llongwe and Blantyre airports may suggest carriers and routes to and from those major airports in Malawi:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilongwe_International_A…

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Chileka_International_Ai…

Finally - at some point in such a thread, someone always seems to propose:

1. Posting on the Malawi forum if the OP is on an air, rail, etc. travel forum.

2. Posting on the air-rail-etc. forum if the OP is on the country-specific or city-specific forum.

In that vein – might a post to the Malawi forum get any better answers on current transport options to Mzuzu?

NomadicForever
3. Re: Flying to Mzuzu in Malawi

Tks Earthling. I had seen several of the links you posted. Malawi forum Northern Region is not very active. Obvious route is via Dar. I dont like to fly KQ which operates this route. To drive 400 km is the alternative.

Worldwide
reviews: 536
4. Re: Flying to Mzuzu in Malawi

Nomadic, haven't talked recently with colleagues who use African airlines regularly these days. My last trip to that continent was able to use Emirates via Dubai. But SA, KQ and ET seem to have steadily improved over the years. I would probably not hesitate to fly any of those, and might now pick one or another partly on which alliance I would want to collect miles on - as KQ is SkyTeam and SA and ET are *A. I suppose my personal decision might hinge on (1) schedules and pricing of connections, (2) my impression of hub airports, and (3) whether I could gain by a possible stopover on one or another of those hub airports. Personally, I would avoid Kenya (or certain parts of Johannesburg) these days unless there was a need and had the help of local contacts. But I might look for reasons for stopovers in ADD or JNB, to network with colleagues there (and using their guidance to avoid the worst aspects of Johannesburg), or to visit a few places. Of course, YMMV.

Regarding local info on Malawi, I would rely on local contacts, if available. The TA forum on northern Malawi is certainly quiet, as you say. The forum on Malawi as a whole gets a bit more discussion - and seems to lean toward road transport as the best available option these days...

NomadicForever
5. Re: Flying to Mzuzu in Malawi

Tks Earthling. I am familiar with Africa, and the pros and cons of travelling on this continent. Last trip to Malawi was 30 yrs ago. As you mention, KQ is a last resort, from my neck of the woods SQ or TG to JNB are the best choice. This is the reason to go via JNB. Still got a bit of time. May be Malawian will add Mzuzu by then.

Reply to: Flying to Mzuzu in Malawi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted