We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson long haul- now free drinks in economy!

Swindon, United...
reviews: 85
Thomson long haul- now free drinks in economy!

I just booked our hols to Orlando today through Thomson and the brand new brochure states that fro Nov 2014 you will get free drinks (excl champagne) in economy! Not sure if this already common knowledge but I thought it was great and wanted to share! Another reason to look forward to my Dreamliner flight :)

Also we booked 'extra space' seats (ie 36" pitch but may not be an exit row) and they were £40 each pp for the return, just FYI. I also thought this was very reasonable seeing as I always pay to select your seat and that was only £10 less pp.

52 replies to this topic
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
1. Re: Thomson long haul- now free drinks in economy!

Yes, complimentary drinks in economy from the start of the Winter season. Theyre trying to compete with the full service airlines apparently.

Arroyo de la Miel...
reviews: 150
2. Re: Thomson long haul- now free drinks in economy!

Good news for some ;-)))

Tamworth, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 8
3. Re: Thomson long haul- now free drinks in economy!

About time too.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
4. Re: Thomson long haul- now free drinks in economy!

No such thing as a free drink lol. The cost is incorporated into the cost of the ticket, so those people who don't drink much pay for those that do.

Swindon, United...
5. Re: Thomson long haul- now free drinks in economy!

I don't drink alcohol but intend to get my monies worth in diet coke and coffee lol. You're probably right that the free bit is an illusion- but if it adds to my enjoyment of the holiday then oh well!

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
6. Re: Thomson long haul- now free drinks in economy!

I'm not a big fan of alcohol when flying, but can drink my weight in water lol.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 245
7. Re: Thomson long haul- now free drinks in economy!

Loads of free booze-I see trouble ahead...........

Cardiff
reviews: 31
8. Re: Thomson long haul- now free drinks in economy!

Just makes the mark up for Premium even less appealing - now all you will get over cattle class is a lttle extra legroom, 3kg extra luggage and a dedicated check in - £400+ pp I don't think so!!

Wigan, United...
reviews: 88
9. Re: Thomson long haul- now free drinks in economy!

And are they going to have extra staff and carry extra supplies of drinks? As it stands many people buy bottles of water in the airport and only purchase minimum drinks on the flight, but I'm sure everyone will have a few drinks if they have paid a bit more for their tickets!

I think there may be alcohol related problems on certain flights, such as Goa. Or they may become like Virgin and simply close the bars 3 hours into a long haul flight- as we experienced on a Manchester-Barbados with no-one kicking off or misbehaving!

Imho the American airlines have a more sensible policy - free soft drinks, tea and coffee and pay for alcohol. We've never seen any alcohol related incidents when we've flown with American, US and Delta.

Swindon, United...
10. Re: Thomson long haul- now free drinks in economy!

I agree- free soft drinks and charge for alcohol would be better. But I'm probably biased as someone who rarely drinks- a person who sees a drink as part of the holiday experience may not agree. In my experience as cabin crew you usually aren't pushed for time on a long haul flight, and handing out drinks for free is quicker than taking payment, even if more drinks are requested. So not sure more crew would be needed, however stock could be an issue with some items like bottled water.

Edited: 8:05 am, April 27, 2014
Reply to: Thomson long haul- now free drinks in economy!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted