We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

liquid carry on regulations

Duluth, Minnesota
liquid carry on regulations

Question: Does "solid" stick deodorant count as a "liquid, gel or cream" and does it need to be in a traveler's one-quart liquids bag?

31 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
1. Re: liquid carry on regulations

It is a solid so NO it is not a liquid!

Duluth, Minnesota
2. Re: liquid carry on regulations

Thank you. I couldn't see how stick deodorant could possibly called a gel or cream, but I wanted to be absolutely sure.

Vancouver...
reviews: 24
3. Re: liquid carry on regulations

"I wanted to be absolutely sure." Deb: how do you know that Riff is correct? I'm not saying she is or isn't, but she may be wrong, so how can you be absolutely sure? Just something to ponder. Chuck.

Edited: 2:46 am, April 24, 2014
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 22
4. Re: liquid carry on regulations

I would have counted it as a cream

Lipstick (Similar consistency) - you have to put that in the liquids bag.. (from my experience out of Melbourne, Auckland, Sydney, Brisbane, Singapore and Hong Kong)

Edited: 2:59 am, April 24, 2014
New York City, New...
reviews: 77
5. Re: liquid carry on regulations

My take on this is its up to the whim/mood of the official screening your luggage that day.

If there's no more room in your quart bag and the screener says it can't fly, just be prepared to toss it. Unless you have allergy issues with the components of some brands, its easy to buy a replacement stick when you get to where you're going.

Just make sure you shower & use some of it before flying so none of your seatmates will complain!

Duluth, Minnesota
6. Re: liquid carry on regulations

Question for you more experienced travelers -- where would be the best place to get a definitive answer on my "is stick deodorant a gel/cream" question? The AA website didn't seem to address it. I will be travelling light in June, and want to get this correct in advance. Raelene -- I had heard about lipstick, that is part of the reason why I was questioning deodorant.

Hong Kong, China
7. Re: liquid carry on regulations

lipsticks, mascara, I just put it all in to be safe.

Why not just buy it when you arrive at your destination and throw it away after?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 593
8. Re: liquid carry on regulations

As NuriKabe-12 says there is no definitive answer it just depends on the whim of the officials,if in doubt put it in the little bag as you go through security,I very much doubt a stick deodorant will be over a 100ml measurement.

Hong Kong, China
9. Re: liquid carry on regulations

from the government site - you can take it

apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx…

New York City, New...
reviews: 77
10. Re: liquid carry on regulations

Well, managed to dig this up too:

…tsa.gov/2010/09/gel-aerosol-and-stick-deodo…

…tsa.gov/2013/07/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-fly…

apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx…

No offense, but for the life of me, I don't really know why losing a stick of deodorant is really that big a deal...

Reply to: liquid carry on regulations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted