We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air India

Sydney
reviews: 85
Air India

We are a family of 5 planning a 6 week round the world trip this Dec/Jan so budget is a major factor. I have found flights from Paris to Sydney via New Dehli on Air India for $878 which is considerably cheaper than the $1500 option with Qantas and other airlines. Has anyone travelled this route recently and if so what was your experience like?

13 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Air India

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/air_india.htm

Merseyside
reviews: 66
2. Re: Air India

Lisa - who did you fly with in the end?

I'm considering AI for a flight from FRA to MEL at the end of the year. They are so much cheaper - we can afford to travel business class!

Thanks

TA

Sydney
3. Re: Air India

We aren't flying to January so still in the dark. I figure its only a day out of your life. How bad can it be? And for the price when there are 6 of us travelling its seems the obvious choice

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
4. Re: Air India

Good attitude to have, LisaSydney. Take the online complaints with a grain of salt.

Sydney
5. Re: Air India

:)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: Air India

This is not a comment re Air India**, but the route. The only thing to be wary of is transiting at a country for which you don't have entry clearance (i.e. a visa). If there's a missed connection you may have to wait for hours (up to 24) for a rebooked flight, and you would potentially have to stay airside the whole time.

Now, the international departure lounge at DEL is very good. And it has a transit hotel airside (Eaton Smart). That's likely to be very expensive (airside hotels are) and of course you'd be subject to space availability, but there are options.

But, that said, I'd prefer to transit somewhere that I wouldn't be "captive" if something went wrong. Transit visas, just in case, may be useful here.

[** I've never flown AI yet, but as they're likely to join Star Alliance soon I may well be in the future]

Edited: 11:43 pm, June 21, 2014
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 40
7. Re: Air India

Not flown that route but have flown JFK-LHR with them once on a cheap ticket - I had absolutely no problems with them, they were absolutely fine - meals, cabin crew, cabin, timings etc were no different to other carriers.

Sydney
8. Re: Air India

Thanks for letting us know. I will post out experience too

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: Air India

Air India have a reputation for being low quality. Of course that doesn't mean the planes are poorly maintained, but don't expect all the seat back TVs to work.

Try Kuwait Air, cheaper than many main carriers, but far better quality than Air India and usually only slightly more.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
10. Re: Air India

Are you kidding that Kuwait Airways is better than Air India?!

Air India are flying the new Dreamliner for at least half the flights the OP will be taking-- pretty sure the hard product is of a decent standard in economy.

Oh, and LisaSydney-- unfortunately Air India seem to be losing money on this route due to low passenger loads... bad news for them, but hopefully you'll have more room to stretch out :)

Reply to: Air India
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted