We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough time?

Belfast
reviews: 8
Enough time?

I'm looking at the option of flying from Ireland to Georgia via Poland.

This is the first time i have gone on connecting flights so i am a bit wary of something going wrong.

The first flight is Dublin to Katowice with Ryanair,due to arrive at 21.10

The second flight with Wizz air flies from Katowice to Kutaisi at 00.55.

I have not had any problems in the past with Ryanair,i have never flown with Wizzair.

I would think timewise it should work out ok,but would appreciate any thoughts or advice before i book. Thanks

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
1. Re: Enough time?

< This is the first time i have gone on connecting flights >

They aren't. They are separate flights. It is your responsibility and your alone to make the next flight. If you don't then your ONLY alternative to reach Georgia is to buy another ticket.

4 hours between flights SHOULD be enough but doesn't take into account changes in schedules that reduce that time, or the cancellation of the route or flights on that day or flight delays, lost luggage, stroppy security or anything else that could make you miss a flight

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 246
2. Re: Enough time?

When are you thinking of travelling? It may work, it may not depedning on what happens between now and then and on the day itself.

What will you do if the first flight is put back, or the second flight is brought forward or both?

Flying on seperate tickets is a balance between saving money and risk. Only you can weigh up those risks and decide if it's one that you are prepared to take.

I would want to leave more time, myself, but I am risk averse. That said, I have never been to Katowice, which is where some comments from those who have may be useful.

Edited: 8:19 am, April 17, 2014
Belfast
reviews: 8
3. Re: Enough time?

Thanks,

I'm planning to go on May 13th

I'm just carrying hand luggage so have no worries about lost luggage.

If Wizzair flew daily to Georgia i would have stayed overnight in Katowice and flown the following day just to be safer,but they only fly twice a week,so if i did miss the second flight then i'm in trouble.

I hadn't thought of the Wizzair flight time being brought forward,is that possible?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 246
4. Re: Enough time?

At this stage it's less likely. It's more likely if you were travelling inseveral months time, but anything can happen on the day.

The most likely scenario you are facing is service problems on the day of travel lead to a late departure or cancellation of your Ryanair flight. If this happens, you may well miss the second flight.

If you do miss the flight and there isn't another one for a few days, do you have a back up plan? (That sort of schedule would make me even less inclined to risk it!)

Is it a lot more expensive to make a through booking via another airline or airlines? You have more protection if you have a through ticket.

UK
reviews: 89
5. Re: Enough time?

I hadn't thought of the Wizzair flight time being brought forward,is that possible?

---

Of course it is, same for the Ryanair flight. Or one or both could be cancelled. There are quite a few posts here from people complaining that their Ryanair flights have been switched to a different day, or later or earlier by a large amount, like 12 hours or so.

However, you are only looking a month ahead so the possibilities of this are much lower than if you were booking say 6 months ahead, but there is still a risk. Plus of course all the normal delays that can happen.

6. Re: Enough time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 19, 2015