We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ba from glasgow via gatwick to tampa

scotland
reviews: 7
ba from glasgow via gatwick to tampa

Wonder if anyone can tell my why this is.

I was considering paying for seats for the gat to tampa leg of my flight as my sons 13 so not guaranteed to get a seat with his parents(ridiculous), any way hes having a bit of a panic about it and I was look tonight and the outward flight is only showing availability from rows 26 to 39 and the

return flight is showing availabilty from rows 16 to 39 so does that means it a different aircraft or are the other economy seats booked and what they are showing me is whats left?

Already paid a fortune for flights and to add another 26quid each both ways just bugs me but if I have to do it I will for sons sake

sorry folks that was a bit long winded to ask a simple wee question lol

tonight

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 98
1. Re: ba from glasgow via gatwick to tampa

It is generally agreed that fewer people pay to reserve seats in economy so there is a good selection available at OLCI which opens 24hours before your flight. You will be allocated a seat but can change it during the checkin process.

As you are flying from GLA you will have an advantage as you will be able to choose your TPA seats when you check in for the GLA flight.

However it's your call as to whether you pay or wait for OLCI, only you know your sons anxiety levels. Where did you hear that BA don't sit you together. The only time it will happen is if you check in very late and the only seats left are scattered over the plane. This could happen on any airline.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
2. Re: ba from glasgow via gatwick to tampa

Wait until T-24. You will be fine.

scotland
3. Re: ba from glasgow via gatwick to tampa

Thanks for your reply, I read somewhere that ba automatically sit you as a family when you have children aged 12 and under but just cant remember where

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 98
4. Re: ba from glasgow via gatwick to tampa

Looks like it 2 different versions of the 777 they are using, hence the different row nos.

BA don't purposely split up families. Just keep an eye on the seat map and if per chance lots do reserve seat, just book them but I can't see you having a problem

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: ba from glasgow via gatwick to tampa

Janet,

It looks like you have a different aircraft in each direction, which is why you're seeing fewer rows in Y on the outbound. For LGW-TPA it looks like a four class 777 (First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and Economy) where Y starts at row 26 - seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/Britis… . For the return it looks like a three class 777 (no First) and Y starts at row 16 - seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/Britis… .

As for whether to pay the seat selection fee or not, you can at any time view the seat map on Manage My Booking and see if the seats are filling up. If they're not, then don't pay but check again frequently. Chances are that when OLCI opens at T - 24hr there will be seats together, but checking frequently will help you.

As for "Already paid a fortune for flights and to add another 26quid each both ways just bugs me ..." ....

There is a reason BA does this. Their most valuable passengers are their top level frequent fliers and those who buy the most expensive (full fare) tickets, and those people often buy late. If everyone who bought the cheap leisure fares were able to choose their seats at booking, those elites and full fare pax would only have the cruddy middles left and be the ones split up. So the £25 fee is to deter people from taking those good seats. It's not a money making exercise in itself; the big money they make is by keeping those full fare passengers and frequent fliers, and offering them good seats is one way to do that.

Edited: 7:03 pm, April 10, 2014
scotland
6. Re: ba from glasgow via gatwick to tampa

Ok thanks very much for your replies, so my flight leaves gla at 6.45 on the sat morning when can I do the full check in then for all flights, do I do the return ones at the same time

you can probably tell am not a frequent long haul flyer, this will be my one and only

edinburgh,scotland
reviews: 2
7. Re: ba from glasgow via gatwick to tampa

You can check in for both outbound at 0645 fri am. 24hr before your return flight you will be able to do both of your return flights. Also you dont need access to a printer just mark pick up boarding passes at airport when doing olci

Edited: 7:42 pm, April 10, 2014
Surbiton
reviews: 51
8. Re: ba from glasgow via gatwick to tampa

deleted - already answered while I had the thread on a tab for the last hour!

Edited: 7:59 pm, April 10, 2014
9. Re: ba from glasgow via gatwick to tampa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 12, 2015