We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Incomplete Name on ticket.

Coupar Angus...
Incomplete Name on ticket.

Hello!

My full name is FFF SSS VVV but when i booked my ticket I put SSS VVV only (I forgot to put my first name, i put middle and last name only).

Will I face any problem when I board?

I contacted the airlines and they said they dont make name amendments at all, I'd have to cancell the booking and make another one with current prices, of course this would result extremely expensive, I just cant buy another ticket. What should I do??Please I am really worried as the trip is already very near!!!

My passport shows my full name FFF SSS VVV.

I appreciate your help, thanks.

17 replies to this topic
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 73
1. Re: Incomplete Name on ticket.

Hi,

Ouch. Normally middle names are not as critical (correctness etc) as first/given and last/family names are...

However.. when you travel - especially if it's international - you really are best suited to have your tickets name data match your travel documents (usually your passport) in EVERY detail. Anytime you deviate from this 100% match, you do start to expose yourself to risks that someone - usually the airline - saying "this is you"..

This one to me is a toss-up, as I can see a case being made for "it's the same".. I can also see a case for "it's not the same"...

Travel Safe,

Edited: 4:44 pm, April 10, 2014
Manchester, United...
2. Re: Incomplete Name on ticket.

If you have missed your first name, this is totally different to a spelling error or an abbreviation (Bob/Robert, Tim/Timothy). The airline probably sees this error as a name CHANGE rather than name CORRECTION.

Unfortunately, you have just 2 choices.

1. Pay the current fare

2. Take your chances at the airport.

Without knowing the airline and route involved, it is impossible to know what chance you would have. You are using your passport, so presumably (though not certain) an international flight. There are just so many caveats that make it very risky. You run the risk of being asked about this from check-in to boarding. Potentially you have the same gauntlet if you have a return flight.

The only other thing you can do is plead desperately with the airline. I guess you've done this already? Short of doing the ridiculous and legally changing your name (and passport) to match your reservation, I'm afraid I can't see any way to give you an encouraging answer.

Coupar Angus...
3. Re: Incomplete Name on ticket.

Its an international trip and I am very concerned. I BEGGED for the airline to authorise my name correction but they didnt.

They said I either book another ticket or take my chances at the airport.

I am so down because of that, I just cant afford to buy a new ticket with todays prices!

I have documents with me showing my name is SSS VVV as in the ticket, maybe this helps to prove I am myself. What you think?

My destination is the country where i am from, so I believe that the TSA officers wont make a fuss out of my "name issue" since I am about to travel to my country...am I right?

Please give me some advices, what should I do? I am so concerned!

Thanks

Edited: 3:35 pm, April 11, 2014
Bangkok
Destination Expert
4. Re: Incomplete Name on ticket.

Hi,

"I have documents with me showing my name is SSS VVV as in the ticket, maybe this helps to prove I am myself. What you think?"

==> Here's the ugly truth.. It doesn't matter what WE think.. or how many us may or many not think one way or the other.. It only matters how the airline (and to a lesser degree the TSA) think.. That's who counts here..

Also, part 2 of the ugly is that they can make a (IMHO) legitimate claim that SSS VVV isn't the same person as FFF SSS VVV..

"Please give me some advices, what should I do? I am so concerned!"

==> Short of biting the bullet and paying the fee for a new ticket or name change (if permitted at all), I think the only other avenue is to *ask nicely* that they put a "note" into your reservation about this issue.

What's a note? As the name implies, it's a free-form message inserted into your reservation. [Think of it like a electronic post-it/sitcky note] Almost anyone with authorization can read them or add to them (usually only management can alter or delete them)..

HOWEVER... a "note" is NOT -- I'll say that again, it's NOT a formal change to a ticket.. So, even IF they do agree to make a note in your reservation, that your ID says FFF SSS VVV but your ticket was issued as SSS VVV, that does NOT preclude the carrier from taking action later on when you check-in.

Again, my guess here is that they're not going to make a huge deal of this.. but that's my guess.. It's really going to fall to the actual agent who handles your check-in, or supervisor if it gets to that level, to decide.

Travel Safe,

Coupar Angus...
5. Re: Incomplete Name on ticket.

Thanks for your reply.

I already asked the airline for a "note" to attach to the ticket but they refuse to help and said this is not possible (of course its, where there is a will there is a way). But this airline is really inflexible.

I think i will have to take a chance, its the only option.

If they deny me boarding, would could I do? Could I have any right to fight against the aiirline's decision?

Just one more question, about the TSA, are they immigration officers? I am going to take 3 planes, that means that in each plane I will be asked about this from airline members and TSA as well?

Thanks for your help.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
6. Re: Incomplete Name on ticket.

Hi,

"If they deny me boarding, would could I do? Could I have any right to fight against the aiirline's decision?"

==> These matters fall under contract language. As such, your "rights" would largely be whatever the airlines Contract of Carriage provides for.

Some aspects of air travel are regulated by various governmental agencies like denied boarding - and as such, commonly have established channels or processes for either complaints or grievances for alleged failures.

But if it's not a regulated matter, rather one which is governed by the terms of the commercial contract, then it's pretty much going to be a matter that you'll have address within that framework.

"Just one more question, about the TSA, are they immigration officers?"

==> Hot button question and one that gets a percentage of the traveling population opinionated. By law, the TSA's role and scope is set forth under 49 CFR 114, and more specifically Sections d, e and f.

Immigration matters are usually handled by either the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) or Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agnets.

However, other federal law enforcement agencies or agents, may also enforce matters of federal immigration law (like a CBP officer can enforce laws related to agricultural products when you arrive at the airport, or a Postal Inspector can make an arrest for an alleged wildlife crime committed in/on federal lands)

Your real risk here isn't with the TSA if you will.. It's the airline saying "hey, this is SSS VVV's ticket and you're FFF SSS VVV, that's not you." this is, IMHO, where your real risk falls.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 5:13 pm, April 11, 2014
Coupar Angus...
7. Re: Incomplete Name on ticket.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I see I dont have any alternative other than taking my chances at the airport. I hope everything goes fine.

I think its unlikely the airline deny me boarding because in my passport and all ID my full name appears along with my picture, so even if the name on the passport dont match 100% with the ticket, they will still see from the picture that its me.

I know this will depend on the "mood" of the agent but I suppose the luck is by my side.

Thank you.

Coupar Angus...
8. Re: Incomplete Name on ticket.

Hello!

Over your experience, do you remember what were like the cases of people that were denied boarding out of "name issue"?

Thanks.

Amer.
9. Re: Incomplete Name on ticket.

Try speaking with another CS agent about adding the note to your res.

Manchester, United...
10. Re: Incomplete Name on ticket.

Syd, it is near impossible to give you an estimate of what your chances of success will be.

Putting a note on the booking will not achieve much. If the check-in or gate agents at the airport are not prepared to accept you for travel, they will quickly overrule a call centre agent.

You do not need to divulge all the information, but what is your route and airline(s) ?

Reply to: Incomplete Name on ticket.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted