We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking seats on AA when flight was booked with BA

london
reviews: 3
Booking seats on AA when flight was booked with BA

Hi everyone

I've booked a flight with BA from London Heathrow to Tucson and back with a stopover in Dallas each way.

The outbound flight from London to Dallas is on an AA plane. I was hoping to request a seat for this before online check in opens as I'd prefer an aisle seat if possible.

I'm very unclear if/how to do this. When I try to do it via my booking on BA it redirects me to the AA website, where it looks like I can reserve a seat for £39 but there is also a message on the AA website saying you can't prebook seats if you've booked the flight with another airline.

So not sure whether to proceed or not as I don't want to pay £39 for the seat only to find out its not valid!

Anyone been in a similar situation?

thanks in advance!

hels

14 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 232
1. Re: Booking seats on AA when flight was booked with BA

Can't say for sure with BA/AA, but my experience with other carriers has been that you can only reserve seats with the carrier from which you purchased the ticket. And, in the case of code shares, every case I've seen is that there are more restrictions on when you are able to reserve seats onto the other carrier. As a rule of thumb, I always avoid code share bookings whenever possible for this reason.

That said, if you pay for a seat and they don't deliver the seat, I wouldn't think that you would have an issue getting your payment back.

Good luck.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
2. Re: Booking seats on AA when flight was booked with BA

My limited experience has been that you can phone the actual carrier whose metal you will fly on (in this case AA for the second flight) and request both their confirmation number, and a seat assignment. I have done this with an Alaska Airlines flight booked through Delta (using Delta miles) and a US Airways flight booked through United (using UA miles). In both cases, the first message I got from the airline I had booked through said to request a seat a time of check-in.

No harm calling American.

london
reviews: 3
3. Re: Booking seats on AA when flight was booked with BA

cool, thanks guys - might just take my chances on what seats I get at check in - thats £39 more to spend on my holidays :)

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
4. Re: Booking seats on AA when flight was booked with BA

My experience is also that if you phone the actual operating carrier, which is AA, they'll give you a seat assignment if that airline allows advance seat selection. AA allows advance seat selection without charge so you should be able to call them and get a seat. I've done that a handful of times with various airlines where it was a code share.

They do charge for some premium seats so possibly they don't have any of the regular economy seats available anymore for pre-booking and you'll have to wait until they allocate the rest at the gate. And all that's left for pre-booking is the premium seats. Just a guess.

Durham, United...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Booking seats on AA when flight was booked with BA

Booked BA return trip to JFK New York from Newcastle International airport (UK), with connecting flights. Return flight operated by AA to London Heathrow was delayed,missed connecting flight. Advised delay was due to operational reason when boarding at JFK. Arrived at destination 3 hours 59 minutes late. Can I make a claim for compensation?

UK
reviews: 89
6. Re: Booking seats on AA when flight was booked with BA

Meg, you really should start a new thread. This thread is all about booking seats, not delays,and its 10 months since anyone else posted in it.

Just click on 'ask a question" in the main forum.

Chicago
reviews: 1
7. Re: Booking seats on AA when flight was booked with BA

My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that as you were flying on a non-EU carrier (AA), then you would not be covered by the EU compensation regulations, as you were leaving from the US and not from the EU.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 187
8. Re: Booking seats on AA when flight was booked with BA

<<Can't say for sure with BA/AA, but my experience with other carriers has been that you can only reserve seats with the carrier from which you purchased the ticket. And, in the case of code shares, every case I've seen is that there are more restrictions on when you are able to reserve seats onto the other carrier.>>

This has been our experience on UA/US CodeShare flights (when they were both in Star Alliance), in that we'd book the flights on UA, could get seat assignments on the UA segments, but then needed to call US for the seats on the flights that they operated. Never an issue, but we were also Chairman level on US, so that might have had something to do with the ease of seat selection? Even at our level (on both airlines), we could NOT select seats on the US flights online - had to call.

Not sure exactly how things work with BA/AA, but for seats on AA (when booked through BA), I would call, to find out.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

London
reviews: 74
9. Re: Booking seats on AA when flight was booked with BA

I think the OP is almost a year old, but has just been woken up by someone asking about compo.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 187
10. Re: Booking seats on AA when flight was booked with BA

Oops, snagged by a necro-post. Teach me to not check the date of origin.

Thanks, and DUH!

Hunt

Reply to: Booking seats on AA when flight was booked with BA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted