We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin atlantic special assistance team

Cambridge, United...
Virgin atlantic special assistance team

We haven't yet flown with virgin but have so far had a dreadful experience with their special assistance team/customer services. We were hoping to pre book our seats as early as possible to allow our family to be seated together so we could care for our 6 year old who as special needs and s registered disabled. The special assistance were disappointingly dismissive and unhelpful and advised us to pay for extra legroom seats! We have now gone on and pre booked our seats but they are not really ideal to what we needed. Really is appointed as other airlines we have travelled with have been really accommodating of our needs and very understandibg. We have left feedback on 2 occasions with no reply :( Has anyone else had experiences of travelling on virgin with a child on autistic spectrum.

Edited: 3:58 pm, April 08, 2014
8 replies to this topic
Romford, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Virgin atlantic special assistance team

Empathise with your child's needs but I'm trying to make the connection between a 6 year old with autism and the need for him to have an extra legroom seat?, it sounds like at the moment (and I am absolutely certain this is not your intention) you are using the child as an excuse to wangle upgrades for the whole family? more info please

Cambridge, United...
2. Re: Virgin atlantic special assistance team

No..we certainly don't want upgrades in act we not want extra leg room seats! We actually wanted 4 seats together (in centre aisle) so us or our child wouldn't be seated next to another passenger as we were concerned we would cause disruption!! We were told we could either pay for extra legroom seats(which we did not want) or wait and "hope" we would get the sets we wanted! As it turns out we managed to get 4 together but were hoping or 4 on a back row so We wouldn't have anyone behind us...but we have been unlucky! I'm disappointed at their lack of attempt to understand and enable us to have the seats that would make a big difference to us and not cause disruption to anyone!! We really dont want special seats!!

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: Virgin atlantic special assistance team

Well at least you have seats all together guaranteed (ish), sometimes the seating plan is not set in stone so there is still the possibility than when you get to check in(suggest early) they still might be able to move things around so you are all still sitting together closer to the rear of the aircraft -good luck!!!

4. Re: Virgin atlantic special assistance team

Just a side note: calling those folks "special assistance team" is incorrect as SAT members are actually people who go in and help passengers when there is a disaster that happens with a airline.

Edited: 9:27 pm, April 23, 2014
uk
reviews: 20
5. Re: Virgin atlantic special assistance team

Post 4 it is indeed the correct term in the UK to say special assistance and BA themselves call it special Assistance.

britishairways.com/en-gb/…

Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 211
6. Re: Virgin atlantic special assistance team

I have to say that bar one occassion the Virgin assistance team have come up trumps for what we need because of my disabled partner.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 12
7. Re: Virgin atlantic special assistance team

It may be to late now as you have already booked extra leg room, but are you sure you spoke to the special assistance team and not somebody just in the general service team? I found there email address on the virgin website if you want to try again? Special_Assistance@fly.virgin.com

Jacksonville...
8. Re: Virgin atlantic special assistance team

I've flown virgin several times . My son is now 15 with severe autism. We always choose our seats online a good month or so before departure, never been charged for this and even if the seat numbers have changed, we've always had the some configuration, for us its 2 and 2 because we have to have window seat.

Reply to: Virgin atlantic special assistance team
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted