We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Avios Upgrade Clarification

London, United...
reviews: 1
BA Avios Upgrade Clarification

Hi all,

I've taken a look though British Airways site, and had a search around the forum here but I'm still a little unclear and was wondering if anyone could clarify something regarding avios and upgrades.

I'll be flying to Atlanta later this year, and will be travelling in World Traveller Plus as always.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Club World (assuming that's a route which is likely to have upgrades, I know not all do), using my Avios points (9600 each way I believe).

I'm clear about what I need to do with regards to all that. What I was wondering was if when I fly I then get avios on my flight as normal.

Would I be given the Club World level of points (about 6300 each way), just the WTP points (as I upgraded the 'difference') or no points at all since I've used some points in booking the flight (I'm blue tier, so know I won't get any additional bonus points).

I only have about 50,000 points saved so far, so if I get no points back I'll continue to save them up rather than use them. If I'd be recouping most of them back in new points after I've flown though, I'll be looking to upgrade.

I appreciate any information anyone has. Thanks!

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 13
1. Re: BA Avios Upgrade Clarification

You would get the Avios for the original cabin you booked in, so in this case World Traveller Plus.

If you are looking to maximise your points I can highly recommend the BAEC forum over at Flyertalk. Thanks to the advice there is have enjoyed 4 trips in Club World and two in First, all by using Avios and I made silver membership this year.

Edited: 11:32 am, April 03, 2014
London
reviews: 74
2. Re: BA Avios Upgrade Clarification

You will also get the tier points associated with WT+

London, United...
3. Re: BA Avios Upgrade Clarification

Thanks for the fast replies everyone! That's exactly what I needed to know. :)

UK
reviews: 90
4. Re: BA Avios Upgrade Clarification

I think it's more than 9,600. 10,000 or 12500 more likely.

London, United...
5. Re: BA Avios Upgrade Clarification

joeintheuk, I think you're right - 12,500 rings a bell from when I briefly looked into it last year. No idea where I pulled that lower one from!

Edited: 12:18 pm, April 03, 2014
Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
6. Re: BA Avios Upgrade Clarification

Remember to change your Tesco points to Avios too. This is a good additional way to build them up.

7. Re: BA Avios Upgrade Clarification

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 05, 2015