We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

open return ticket

Catania, Italy
open return ticket

I am travelling to the Philippines on May but I am not sure when will I get back here in Italy. How can I avail of an open return ticket? Please help......

2 replies to this topic
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
1. Re: open return ticket

Hi,

Speak to the carrier directly. Some will have fares that will allow you to have an "open" return date, some might require you to pick a date initially, but allow for fee-free or minimal fee required changes later on.. but... do be sure to ask about maximum validity in that many tickets have to be used within one year on the maximum end, so be sure you ask about validity.

I know that these kinds of tickets are somewhat common in the Philippines as they are used by OFW's whose return date to the Republic can be far off and not always known at the initial time of ticket purchase.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 12:02 pm, April 02, 2014
Manchester, United...
2. Re: open return ticket

Depending on your nationality or if you have a visa, the airline flying you to the Philippines will need to see proof of your flight leaving the Philippines (usually within 21 or 28 days). An open ticket wouldn't be sufficient for this.

The OFW (Overseas Filipino Worker) fares that GOPBI refers to are usually either specific seaman fares (lots of Pinoys work on boats around the world) and require you to show proof of employment, or they will be deal fares made available to certain travel/employment agencies.

Flexibility usually comes at a price. Speak to a few airlines and travel agents and see if they have anything to offer. I would suspect that the best option for you would be to book a ticket with a confirmed date, and then paying a change fee (which could be from €50 to $200 depending on airline) once you know your return travel date. You should also be aware that confirming a new flight close to departure could also mean you have to pay a fare difference as the very lowest fares could have all been sold many weeks before departure.

Reply to: open return ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted