We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. Immigration and luggage Q

New Delhi, India
reviews: 22
Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. Immigration and luggage Q

HI

I am Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. DEL-CHI on Air India, and CHI-ATL on Delta

Will I have to pass immigration in Chicago or Atlanta?

Also, will I have to colect, and recheck my luggage in Chicago?

16 replies to this topic
Winchester, United...
1. Re: Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. Immigration and luggage Q

You will clear Immigration and Customs at Chicago, you will pick up your bag at Chicago but will drop it off again with someone and go back through security. You're not technically rechecking your luggage but will be picking it up yourslef and dropping it off at flight connections

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
2. Re: Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. Immigration and luggage Q

Are you on 2 separate tickets or one through ticket??

In the USA you always go through immigration and customs on your first stop in this country so you will do that in Chicago. Hopefully you have plenty of time between your 2 flights??(several hours) If you are on one through ticket then you will drop your luggage as mentioned above and the airlines will take care of bringing it from one plane to the next one.

New Delhi, India
3. Re: Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. Immigration and luggage Q

I have 2 hrs 40 minutes between flights. is that enough?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
4. Re: Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. Immigration and luggage Q

Hi,

For an international-to-domestic at ORD, 2:40 should be enough.

There is a terminal change required at ORD, but the tram that takes you there is a short ride.

I think you proceed expeditiously - that is no stopping for coffee along the way - you'll be ok.

(Note: You'd be surprised how many folks I've seen come running up to the doors just minutes after they've closed, but with a fresh cuppa coffee bought in the airport, in hand)

Travel Safe,

Edited: 1:37 pm, April 02, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
5. Re: Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. Immigration and luggage Q

It's enough but as GOPBI said, don't waste time. ORD has notoriously long immigration lines so it would not take much of a delay in your incoming flight to cause a problem. If you want to search on the Chicago forum, people ask about this all the time and you can find several detailed discussions of how to transfer from an international to domestic flight at ORD.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 118
6. Re: Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. Immigration and luggage Q

you do need to check with your carrier in India if they will check your bags all the way to Atlanta. This is possible only if Air India has an interline agreement with Delta and you have one ticket from DEL - ATL

New Delhi, India
7. Re: Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. Immigration and luggage Q

Thanks for all the help folks

Chicago
reviews: 1
8. Re: Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. Immigration and luggage Q

You will have to reclear security at your domestic terminal as well.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
9. Re: Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. Immigration and luggage Q

Air India can not check your bags through to Atlanta. In the US, as already said--you clear immigration and customs in your first American Port. THAT is Chicago. You WILL go through immigration, you will then claim your luggage and go through customs. You will then hand your luggage back in. Your Chicago to Atlanta flight will be a domestic flight with no immigration OR customs.

new delhi
10. Re: Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. Immigration and luggage Q

flying from toronto to indianapolise via chicago stoping time at chicago airport is 1 hour flying from toronto with american airline where will immigration done chicago or indianapolise

Reply to: Flying Delhi-Atlanta via Chicago. Immigration and luggage Q
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted