We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the best time to purchase airline tickets to Vegas?

McHenry, Illinois
reviews: 45
When is the best time to purchase airline tickets to Vegas?

When is the best time to purchase airline tickets to Vegas? I'll be traveling in September 1 way to Las Vegas from Chicago, then 1 way back from Flagstaff/Phoenix back to Chicago, and I was wondering if there is a "Best Time" to purchase these flights? If I purchase right now I can get the rate of $184 pp on Spirit, and $202 pp US Airways, but if I have a chance of getting a lower rate by waiting, then I'd like to know your opinion.

Thank you.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
1. Re: When is the best time to purchase airline tickets to Vegas?

The rate may come down by $20, but may go up by $50 or more. Who knows.

The right time to buy is when you are happy with the price. If you are happy with $202 then book with US Airways. As the price difference is minimal I'd avoid Spirit.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
2. Re: When is the best time to purchase airline tickets to Vegas?

See the Top Question over on the right side of the page - "Buy now or later". No one can tell you. If you are happy with the price and it fits your budget, purchase it. I guess you could do a cost/benefit and ask yourself what the possibility is for a lower fare - I mean maybe you could save $20 more - versus a lower fare class selling out and being stuck paying say $50-$100, or more....

McHenry, Illinois
reviews: 45
3. Re: When is the best time to purchase airline tickets to Vegas?

Good information thanks.

Let me clarify by what I meant by the Spirit price vs. the US Airways price. The Spirit price is the airline and price to Vegas. The US Airways flight/price is for the return home. Since I am flying into Las Vegas, and flying out of Flagstaff I couldn't do a round trip ticket for 1 airline.

Thanks again all!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
4. Re: When is the best time to purchase airline tickets to Vegas?

"Since I am flying into Las Vegas, and flying out of Flagstaff I couldn't do a round trip ticket for 1 airline."

You could do a multi city or open jaw flight - I personally wont fly Spirit, they have no agreements with any other airline and in the event of any problems you are stuck with them for hours (or days) until they fix it.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
5. Re: When is the best time to purchase airline tickets to Vegas?

With Spirit, make sure you add on all the various fees. If you do not pay attention when you book, they add up very fast. There are a lot of negative posts about Spirit on here and most are from people that got surprised by the fees. Fees for a bottle of water. Fees for carry ons. Fees for printing boarding passes.

Check Southwest, too. They fly direct from Midway to Las Vegas.

I do round trips to Phoenix a lot and $400 round trip would be pretty reasonable. Your fare is as likely to go up as down.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
6. Re: When is the best time to purchase airline tickets to Vegas?

You can click on Multi city on any airline site and put in your dates TO LAS and your date RETURNING from Phoenix and then price one ticket.

US Airways will allow this and the total round trip will be less then adding up both of your one ways.

7. Re: When is the best time to purchase airline tickets to Vegas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 02, 2015