We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica Passport Rules

Yonkers, New York
reviews: 3
Costa Rica Passport Rules

I have just booked a vacation to Costa Rica for 5/7-5/17 ...I am so mad at myself but just pulled out my passport and it expires 11/10 of this year. I know that for Costa Rica your passport should be valid for 6mths following your trip. Does anyone know if it is from the day of entry to the country or the day you depart. I have looked it up and as far as I can see it is 6 mths from entry date. I am going to try get another passport before then but in case I cant get it in time..will I be ok?

Please help with any info...Im kind of freaking out(and want to kick myself for not being on top of this)

13 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
1. Re: Costa Rica Passport Rules

Not sure where you are seeing you need 6 month validity - it only needs to be valid for a minimum of 1 day as per the Costa Rica Embassy in Washington DC.

"Americans do not need a visa to enter Costa Rica. However, they must have a current valid passport and a return ticket to exit Costa Rica. (Either to return to your country or to go to another country). US passport must be valid for a minimum of one day from the day you enter Costa Rica."

http://www.costarica-embassy.org/?q=node/72

Yonkers, New York
2. Re: Costa Rica Passport Rules

I have an Irish passport...sorry forgot to mention that!!

Virginia
reviews: 2
3. Re: Costa Rica Passport Rules

By clicking on the link mentioned above, it shows the same requirements for Irish citizens. Ninety days visa free, and 1 day validity.

Liverpool, UK
4. Re: Costa Rica Passport Rules

I had assumed you were a US passport holder but assuming you have a visa for the US then this is the requirement for entry to Costa Rica (from the link in reply 1).

"Citizens of other nationalities do not need a tourist visa to enter Costa Rica if they have a tourist visa, a visa for crew or a business visa (multiple entry) from United States of America, Canada, Japon, Schengen Visa and/ or any country of the European Union . Note: Such visa must be stamped in the passport and be valid for at least 1 day (The length of stay may not be greater than the validity of the visa and may not exceed 30 days) or 6 months (Japon) from the day you enter Costa Rica."

Yonkers, New York
5. Re: Costa Rica Passport Rules

Yes I am a permanent resident of the US.

Thanks for the info...makes me feel better.

Vancouver...
6. Re: Costa Rica Passport Rules

I hope you have started the procedure to renew your passport? Chuck.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
7. Re: Costa Rica Passport Rules

I would just renew it to be safe. While a country may not have those requirements, airlines can implement any policies they want (and they do). For example, this is not required by mexico, but it happens that people will be denied if they don't have the 6 month validity. If they do that for Mexico, I don't know why CR wouldn't be any different. Maybe you should ask on a CR forum to see what their members say, but I wouldn't chance it and would renew. It is not illegal for airlines to follow their own policy, so citing CR's requirements won't help (I have clients who have been denied for this and no amount of arguing, insurance, threatening to sue, helped them).

Edited: 4:13 pm, March 25, 2014
Yonkers, New York
8. Re: Costa Rica Passport Rules

I just called the Costa Rican embassy and they told me that as long as my passport is valid for one day from when i enter the country I will be fine. I may just go ahead and renew anyway to be safe.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
9. Re: Costa Rica Passport Rules

It's not the CR embassy that you should be worried about, it's boarding. The airline can deny you as they can set their own policies.

Yonkers, New York
10. Re: Costa Rica Passport Rules

Really? I would never have thought that!

Reply to: Costa Rica Passport Rules
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted