We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrageous Air India Baggage policy please help!

Schenectady, New...
reviews: 23
Outrageous Air India Baggage policy please help!

Well my wife and I are scheduled for a trip to London from JFK. We believed that we got a reasonably good price. I called Air India today to find out their baggage policy. I was amazed when two different agents told me that we would only be allowed 1 bag at 20kgs a piece and it would be $48, I say again, $48 us dollars for each kilogram over 20. With a quick calculation i figured an extra bag would cost us in the neighborhood of $1900. They called the flight a "core" flight, whatever that means. As my wife and I will be doing a cruise out of Dover and need extra clothes ie: formal wear, dress clothes and shoes, ect) there is no way 20kg are going to cut it. PLEASE any advise would be helpful. Thanks

Anthony W

UK
reviews: 87
1. Re: Outrageous Air India Baggage policy please help!

Upgrade to business class. I believe you get extra luggage allowance.

uk
reviews: 177
2. Re: Outrageous Air India Baggage policy please help!

You don't seem to have looked properly. The Air India link airindia.com/checked-baggage-allowances.htm seems to say 2 bags max 23kg each unless I've read it wrong.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 86
3. Re: Outrageous Air India Baggage policy please help!

The policy is on their webpage, and it looks like you get two checked bags weighing 20 kegs each if your flight originates in the US, unless you are traveling on U, T or S class fares.

No one can help you with this. If you bring iver the allowance, you'll have to pay.

I've taken many cruises, dressed for formal nights, and never needed 44 pounds of luggage. It can be done.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
4. Re: Outrageous Air India Baggage policy please help!

Can you call it an outrageous policy after you've already booked? Shouldn't you have looked before to see what the allowance was?

Seattle, Washington
5. Re: Outrageous Air India Baggage policy please help!

Sorry, meant 23 kgs each.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
6. Re: Outrageous Air India Baggage policy please help!

You have so much luggage that you must take and you only check the allowances after you book? That's crazy.

Not much you can do aside from suck it up and pay or cut down the amount you take to bare minimum.

London, United...
reviews: 23
7. Re: Outrageous Air India Baggage policy please help!

I see rest of world as one 20kg bag Jeremy also?

Op, are you sure you cannot pay to take an extra bag? Did you ask that question? Because there is a difference between being over on your allowance and taking an extra bag.

I can see excess luggage for every other route, I just can't see it for rest of world if it's allowed, it does not say.

However you should read the luggage policy before booking a flight....sorry, but you really should.

London
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 73
8. Re: Outrageous Air India Baggage policy please help!

How are you getting $1900? Sorry I don't understand this post.

Seattle, Washington
9. Re: Outrageous Air India Baggage policy please help!

^^^^^

Perhaps they are just purchasing extra seats for their bags?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
10. Re: Outrageous Air India Baggage policy please help!

If the OP's figures are right they are planning on taking 40kg's extra.