We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Airlines checkin seat allocations

Thomson Airlines checkin seat allocations

I booked a holiday with Thomson and did not pay to sit together with my wife, instead I knew that the online checkin would open 7 days before travel which would allocate the seats. Very soon after the 7 day opening time (within the hour), I opened my reservation on line in to see what seats had been allocated and found that we had been allocated seats right at the back of the plane. I could see that most of the plane was still empty so I thought I might be able to move the allocation to an unused seat --not without paying. I thought OK, if they are allocating from the back I won't check in now, I'll wait till the plane fills up a bit. A day or two later I looked again and sure enough more seats had been allocated in rows at the back, but the two very poor seats which had been allocated to me when I looked at my reservation were still allocated to me! It looks as if I have been penalised for looking at my reservation promptly. Is my only option to lump it or pay for a (slightly) better seat? Thomson Ts and C's say they will charge me if I phone up for seat allocations.

52 replies to this topic
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
1. Re: Thomson Airlines checkin seat allocations

You may be able to change your seat if you pay.

"If you haven't chosen Select Your Seat

If you haven't chosen to use our Select Your Seat service, we'll automatically allocate seat numbers to you when you check in online. Before you complete the online check-in process, you might be given the option to change your seats for an extra charge. "

If everyone could change them for free, and select the ones they prefer, why would anyone bother paying in the first place?

2. Re: Thomson Airlines checkin seat allocations

<If everyone could change them for free, and select the ones they prefer, why would anyone bother paying in the first place?>

Yes I understand that, what annoys me is that people who check in later get better seats. It seems to encourage lateness whereas other documentation encurages travellers to book in early.

Newton Abbot...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
reviews: 6
3. Re: Thomson Airlines checkin seat allocations

<<Yes I understand that, what annoys me is that people who check in later get better seats. It seems to encourage lateness whereas other documentation encurages travellers to book in early.>>

Not necessarily to add to Leylands post above Thomson also state on their FAQ website.

However, as seats are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis, it's not usually possible to change them. We recommend you check-in for your flight as soon as possible.

Angie.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 130
4. Re: Thomson Airlines checkin seat allocations

"what annoys me is that people who check in later get better seats. "

___

Not necessarily. Each flight will be different; on other flights more passengers will have paid to prebook, maybe less. Another flight those who haven't paid to prebook the majority of those will try and check in online as soon as it opens, maybe they won't. It isn't an exact science and it seems you were aware of the gamble.

Surbiton
reviews: 30
5. Re: Thomson Airlines checkin seat allocations

Yes I understand that, what annoys me is that people who check in later get better seats

========================================

Other people might disagree that they're "better". I assume you and your wife have seats together, which is what the charge is actually for. The seat selection is simply a free add-on.

If you check in later, you might each get isolated middle or window seats. Which may seem "better" to some couples, of course <g>.

Have you looked at details of the seats on seat guru:

seatguru.com/airlines/…information.php

Generally, it seems to be only the very back rows which are shown as "bad". If you're in bad seats, it might be worth paying to change, depending on the length of the flight.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
6. Re: Thomson Airlines checkin seat allocations

<<I assume you and your wife have seats together, which is what the charge is actually for. >>

The OP hasn't even paid to sit together. He's just taken pot luck with seats at check in, so if they're sat together it's a bonus!

Surbiton
reviews: 30
7. Re: Thomson Airlines checkin seat allocations

The OP hasn't even paid to sit together. He's just taken pot luck with seats at check in, so if they're sat together it's a bonus!

=================================================

Sorry, that's what I meant, but I expressed it badly.

Leeds, England...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Thomson Airlines checkin seat allocations

The same thing has just happened to me!

Absolutely ridiculous. Check in opened 45 mins ago I logged in after 15 mins of it being open and have this situation!

Leeds, UK
reviews: 52
9. Re: Thomson Airlines checkin seat allocations

People whinging cause they are not getting a service for free that other people have chosen to pay for. How unusual.

Edinburgh
reviews: 4
10. Re: Thomson Airlines checkin seat allocations

In short, if you want specific seats pay for them like the rest of us or take your chances and don't complain if you get a *bad* seat. I have to pay for medical seating for my husband, I don't have a choice. You do have that choice!

Reply to: Thomson Airlines checkin seat allocations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted