We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Heathrow T2 - Teething Problems

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
New Heathrow T2 - Teething Problems

According to the Daily Telegraph, Colin Matthews, Heathrow's chief executive, said that opening a new terminal is incredibly complex however and that teething troubles are inevitable.

It is due to open on June 4 and those travelling on or shortly after that date might want to allow some more time.

telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/u…

3 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: New Heathrow T2 - Teething Problems

All new terminals and airport have teething problems.

In the case of T2, HAL (Heathrow Airport Limited) has learned from the mess up from T5 back in 2008, and are phasing the airlines' switches over a period of six months. United is the proud first airline to move (and the guinea pig). HAL has built a ton of contingency into this terminal and the airline moves; I wouldn't be unduly worried.

Here's the currently scheduled airline move dates (I'll put this in a traveller article asap) - http://goo.gl/Z9JPu1

Edited: 7:02 am, March 15, 2014
London, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: New Heathrow T2 - Teething Problems

I flew into terminal five the day it opened, early evening, it was as awful as the news stated, worse even, I do hope they have learned from it, but I agree, all of them have teething problems, and I would personally try to avoid t2 for the first couple of days.

So this is useful info. Being aware of it, can help you prepare, just on case it does go horribly wrong.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: New Heathrow T2 - Teething Problems

Tom,

Actually you're right. HAL is expecting teething troubles, and actually wants them to happen early so they can fix them. But, the fact that they're phasing the airline moves (only 18 departures and arrivals on United for the first 2 weeks) means they should be able to minimize any disruption.

Another problem for the early users is likely to be boredom. A lot of the retail outlets and restaurants aren't planning to open until there's a critical mass of passengers using the terminal (July appears to be the target date).

Then there's lounges. There's no unified Star Alliance lounge at T2. The largest airline lounge in the main (T2A) building will be Lufthansa, who don't move in until October. Unless they plan to open earlier out of the goodness of their heart, it'll be the United Club and Air Canada lounges only (on T2B satellite); SQ (Krisflier) doesn't move in until September. Perhaps Plaza Premium will allow *G's to use their contract lounge until Lufty moves in.

Edited: 11:26 pm, March 15, 2014
Reply to: New Heathrow T2 - Teething Problems
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted